When to make acid soil?

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

So, I need an acid based soil to get the pretty colors....when do I start that? What works best? How much?

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 1:11 PM

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I know that you use the Al. sulfate. and that you should only do it 2 times a year. But. was wondering how soon to start the process~Didn;t see that info in her posting~thats why I posted this

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I thought I read all the sites at Hydrangea that the title looked like what I was looking for. Guess I will have to go "IN SEARCH OF"

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

OH! DURING THE GROWING SEASON! SILLY ME! WAS L@@KING FOR A NAME OF MONTH! SOUNDS LIKE NO ONE KNOWS THEN>?>>>JUST DO IT WHEN EVER! WILL START THIS WEEKEND!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

To affect the color the soil must be amented before the blooms form. So it is best to ad the ammendments as soon as the leaves begin to break out in the early spring....That reminds me! Have to get to town tommorrow and pick up the A. Sulfate for mine! They are greening up now in my climate!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I guess you are all 'blue' ladies :-) I'm itching to have deep pinks and the reddish colours. I believe Pia stays pink even on my acid soil!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

There are several varieties out now that will stay pink! Unfortunately mine are not among them :-( So I alternate every other bush with the A. Sulfate and how much I add to each and the blooms vary from bush to bush. This year I want to try to ger some the deepest blue possible. Wish me luck!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I do my friend, I do!!! Wish me luck too - I might get mine to grow higher than 1 foot this year!!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Of course they are going to grow for you! I started my mop heads from cuttings 2 years ago and they are mow small shrubs about 30" tall and 30" wide! (must be the horse manure cause they took off like weeds :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You are forgetting my friend - I have foes in my garden that won't allow my plants to get too tall!!!!! My cuttings grew like weeds - until I planted them outside!! :-)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have deer too but they prefer the strawberry plants to the roses so I planted about 100 strawberry plants in the field and they leave the roses and hydrangeas alone. Oh, and a barking yapping sheltie that herds them back over the fence doesn't hurt either!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Great idea!!! Might give it a try!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.