L@@k at THESE HYDRANGEA!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I was just at the greenhouse taking pictures! They wanted $11.00 to start for a 3 bloomer. I just took pictures instead and bought a pot of tulips!

Thumbnail by mingsmimi
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mings they are nice and I do like them but these are so easy to obtain now. Did you ever look at some of my earlier posts and links?? Now they are a sight for sore eyes and I would die for them!!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Louisa
I wanted to post a pic of my new hydrangea, but this is quite similar to the one I bought! Does the blue color turn to pink? Or are they different plants?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Dinu,

i bought some from Plantranch for $2.99 per 3' bush. i got one of each color: blue, pink and white. they are now growing nicely with lots of leaves. am just waiting for the buds to emerge. i do not know if there are any difference.

from what i can recall from the past, if not mistaken they used to add aluminum sulfate {?} [not to sure of a. sulfate - having senior moments here. i know it starts with aluminum something LOL] to make the pink turn out to blue. but i also read from somewhere that is not environmentally kosher.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Dinu these are called French Hydrangeas, Hydrangea macrophylla, or mobcaps. You might want to read the links. Then there is the thread on changing the colour if you so wish. What type of soil do you have?? Acid soil is required for the Blue and alkaline for the Pink, but there is a pink variety that retains it's colour in either soil types. "Forever Pink" is the name I believe!! Then there are the lacecaps and others. These links will provide most of your answers!! If you have any more questions, we will try and help!! :-)

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Hydrangea.htm

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/tips/trees/hydrangea.html

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I notice that my plant had bluish flowers and now it is turning towards pink. I am not too sure about the nature of my soil. Perhaps I should get it tested.

The first link didn't open. The second one gave me some basic info. Thanks.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Dinu if your shrub is turning pink then it means that you have alkaline soil!! I would love the pink!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Dinu both links opened for me just now!! I'll try and find you some more :-)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Louisa... the links work for me too. probably Dinu's server does not support the site on his area. that problem do happen to me sometimes too. just my 2 cents worth.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the thumbs up Mavie!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it does happen a number of times Louisa :)!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I wouldn't know that Mavie...lol!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it is true. i have lots of bookmarks from different servers i have subcribe in. some of the bookmarks i've saved does not work on other servers. these are based from personal experience. the only way i could work those saved book marks is to look them up again on google search. others i find, others i don't and it is just disappointing.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I wonder if I will ever get the time to look through my hundreds of bookmarks!!! Like my re-discovery of the links that I posted on the gallery update. Which, incidentally, no-one has bothered to look at and will kick themselves for not having done so earlier!! Magnificent sites!! Maybe if I had chosen a more pointed and dramatic title to the thread it would have had more impact. Something like - I DARE YOU NOT TO LOOK AT THIS - lol!!! So take a look Mavie and step back in amazement!!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Louisa ... talking about bookmarks, u should see my list! i have categorize and created folders for each category for easy access. having joined DG i use mine most of the time. u never mentioned where u posted ur bookmarks, so i will not have chance to see it after all.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

MaVie - go to the thread 'Hydrangea Gallery'!! I posted the links there!! I wish I was as organized as you seem to be!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I was just out checking my hydrangea. they sure are off to a slow start. Only leaves coming at the base. Some buds of leaves here and there on the sticks. but. most of them look like they got frost burnt. I hope these make it. I planted like 10

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Can you say-PINCH!!!!!!!!

Harford County, MD(Zone 6b)

notmartha,my hydrangeas fit the description that mingsmimi described.Are you saying we should pinch off the leaves that look frostbitten? So far I've just left mine alone but it ruins the look of the bush.I have 2 red ones and they seem to have suffered more damage than the others even though they are near each other.For one thing,I think they got off to a bad start with last summers heat.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have been clipping. here and there .

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Thats a good idea gals-but i was saying pinch those plants at the nursery(they could benifit)and root your own!!!! ;]
LOL

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

? how does one go about such a thing

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

One pinches the plant about 2inches of growth and very casually sticks ones hand back in your pocket and dropp it in!!! LOL or open your pocketbook to look for something and drop it in! Then go home and dip in rooting compound and wait for the cops to knock on your door! LOL
HAVE FUN!!!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Have only set Seed pods free! Or deadheaded ... HHHMMMMM been known to take an occasional spider baby home too. (years ago).
You sound like you are feeling so much better>for some reason. I looked at the prayer forum. Never noticed that before. Take care

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

thanks-I am on the mend now! I get tired so easy now-I hate it! Im not use to being the one thats run down or sick!
Ive been known to pinch anything that looks like it might grow! LOL Even at wendys resturants! shhhhhhhhhhh!
I just cant help myself-I sure hope i never get caught with a pocketful of pinched plants!!!! =] wouldnt I feel silly then!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

well, you wouldnt be the only one! I just got my dead neighbors lupine last year, before the new people moved in and tore everything out. True confessions.....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL thats a great deal!!! I look for empty houses to dig at!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

you know it!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.