Calla Lily ?

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought a Calla Lily plant at Lowe's and got a great buy on it. It was only $5.00 becuz it had been damaged. It originally had 3 plants in it but one had been smashed and removed. So, I brought it home and seperated it and made 2 plants. They were doing great under my grow lights at first, but now the leaves are turning yellow. Could they be getting too much light. Do Calla Lily's need much light or could it be too much water? Or are they shade lovers? I turn off my lights at night and it gets a little cold in my garage but not too bad, becuz I run my dryer constantly and my Utility room is right there at the garage and I just open the door and let the heat from the dryer warm it up any time I am drying clothes, and also I use a space heater most of the day in there to keep it warm. I went ahead and brought one inside and just put it in front of a window that doesn't get alot of sun, but I love these plants and have already promised one in trade so I want to keep them healthy. Can someone please give me some advice.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Traci S

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

OK, the leaves may be yellowing because they were damaged a bit during transplanting. The neck of the bulb should be above the soil level and they need a really well drained soil. They don't like wet feet, but if allowed to get bone dry, they will start going dormant (the leaves start to yellow and die). Once they start going dormant, you can't stop it. Let them dry out and rest a while then replant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.