lavender

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Do you grow lavender? Which is the best of the dark purple to grow in zone 7? I tried some seed, and it never came up. I love the smell of lavender, and would very much like to introduce it to my garden with my roses and russian sage. Please give me some information on this.

"eyes"

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 10th 4:48 PM

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Lavender seeds should be stratified for 3-4 weeks. I had great success germinating them by sealing the seed tray in a zip-loc bad and placing it outside on my porch for a couple of weeks. Seedlings are slow growing and won't do much until their second year. In your zone, Eyes - you should be able to grow a much wider variety than I can here. I stick with the lavender angustifolia because it's the hardiest. Lavender is also easy to propigate from cuttings if you wanted to buy some of the fancier varieties and take cuttings. This site has a good selection and some pictures to look at http://montereybaynsy.com/L.htm

As for the best ones for flowers & fragrance... I can't advice much about it since I've never bothered with the tender varieties.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks, poppysue....it says Lavender Lady blooms the first year. May have to try that one!

"eyes"

I have some french lavender that I bought last year and brought it in as it is not supposed to be hardy to zone 7 which is my zone but this year I'm planting it in the ground in a protected area and hoping for the best. I've also planted some English lavender, forget what kind, and some of the seeds have germinated but I did refrigerate the seeds first. If it takes off, I'll send you some seed. vic

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i grow Grey French, Spanish, and Munstead lavender. they are cold hardy to 10 degs. F. love the Grey French of all.

ma vie

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks vic...sounds promising!

"eyes"

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Don;t go to the cover of Horticulture magazine! They have some pretty ones there, but, they have no idea what it is! (incase you missed my thread) http://hortmag.com/

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol mings - I remember that post!!! Jerrie I know you have alkaline soil and lavender will fit the bill for you. Don't you just love it. I still have some that I dried about 6 years ago - it's a bit dusty but that wonderful smell lingers on, not as strong of course but still perceptable!! Vic is the lavender really doing well for you?? I thought you had clay soil!! I guess you amended it!! The French lavender Stoechas (sp) is gorgeous!! I love them all. Jerrie how about Rosemary with your roses!! I can't believe mine made it through the winter, especially with the ice storm and it's still evergreen!! The prostrate one was not so tough - I think it's had it!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I have some mumstead and 3 frenchie ones that are doing great and have only been there a year. I can't get the Spanish one to grow . have to try try again

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

@@ eyes.....how about "English hidcote" lavender. I just got my new Select Seeds catalogue today and they say that has 'Superb dark purple fragrant flowers zone 5to9
just got back from visiting here!~never mind...I can;t get this link to come up correctly...sorry

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 16th 3:15 PM

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 16th 3:17 PM

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 16th 3:18 PM

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 16th 3:20 PM

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

http://www.aheb.com/garden/lavender/angustifolia.html LETS TRY THIS FOR #5 TIME

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

lol mings - it was worth waiting for!! I'm glad you kept trying. Thanks for your persistence, some beautiful new lavenders there - new to me!!!

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Ya KNOW WHAT? I didnt; see half the stuff on that page till I finall got it on! if you click on the List...there is a ton more.I had just first seen the cover part...makes me anxious to see mine grow this ear! HURRY UP SPRING!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And so say all of us :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.