A New Week - hello all !

Monday morning and I'm back home at last. Had a terrific time and overindulged in everything, including family hugs of course. London is still tremendous, a great place to visit (but I'm still pleased to be living in Yorkshire these days). The prices are a bit of a shock though, food and drink when you go out was about 2 and a half times more than up here - it is apparently one of the cheaper parts of the UK to live - so although I didn't stint I had to resort to a lot more eyelash batting than normal when we all went out in order to get the chaps to "offer" drinks etc.
Loads of laughs being a girlie !!

Have cast a quick eye over the previous threads and hasn't a lot happened ! I personall think that burglars and their ilk should be left in a darkned room with a large numbe ro f their victims who are given free rein to do what they want to them . Burglaries etc would plummet in number. But that's the vicious side of me I'm afraid - I've also experienced theft from my home and it feels a little bit like being raped, some B** entering my sfae and cosy nest.I rushed out and got every security device I could afford especially the outside lighting and double locks, and now I have a dog who has a tremendous bark (he's a sweetie too and gives me a lot of fun when we go for walks) and I'm pretty sure he'd have a go at anyone who tried to get in.
Oh dear, I've gone on a bit, sorry. Any way, the sun's trying to break through the clouds so I hope to get out and check my seedlings in the cold frames later - I've got a whole load of veg & herbs growing out there and I've been terrified that I'd lose it all to the big freeze we've had. But, so far so good......

Back later - hugs to all

Jo

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello Jo! I'm surrounded by confusion!! I'm having fences replaced. My front door is ajar to let the lead through so I'm cold Brrrrr!!
I'm replacing cowboy fencing. Those insert your own expletetive put the foundations in the wrong place. Yes, yes, yes, I'd love to be in a darkened room with free rein! I can think of a few uses for concrete. One of them also stole appliances from my home and my dear Dad's model train that was his pride and joy. He had a heart attack two days later, followed by a stroke and passed away three months later. The law just doesn't deal with these people properly.
I still find it difficult to move on. When I took his flowers up on Saturday I found his grave had been grassed over. Which is a good thing. I went for a long walk afterwards, I felt so sad. I'm thinking of buying some really lovely bouquets and taking some photos of them. After that I'll choose some nice silk ones, more permanent, and not go so often. Dad wouldn't want me going up every week. I'm looking forward to better weather so I can do more in the garden again.
I hope that Daisy simply had a door slam open and shut. But once she's improved her security she'll feel a lot better.
Did you enjoy your break? You'd enjoy seeing your family again. I lived in London for a year, I did my M.Sc there. It was a bit too urban and noisy for my taste, but then I was near the City. Expensive too. Lots of things to see though when you're a student.
The men have got to the stage of digging up the old concrete posts. No, I don't think I'll look... What a mess! Bye for now!!!

Hi Diane - gosh it takes a long time to go round all the pages doesn't it ?
London was GREEEEAAATT ! and I REALLY overdid it - can't help myself I'm afraid, it's to do with my wayward past. I was always a tomboy and the despair of my parents.....
Having said that I missed the sprogs and the garden AND my dog so I was glad to be back, even if I do ache all over as tho' I've been beaten. Bring on the aspirin.
Cowboy gardeners huh ? Put 'em in that darkened room with the burglars, along with cowboy builders and people with ugly thoughts and those with no sufferance for others. I'll be there with my nails polyurethaned !
I'm sorry about what happened - moving on is a difficult thing to countenance. I have my own views ( as do we all) but I know for a fact that we ourselves are the proof that our parents exist still and I often talk to myself/Dad when I'm alone 'cos even if the Dad that I knew iswn't there the one that's in me IS there... I hope that doesn't sound too New Agey, I'd hate that and it's not what I mean - it's all about feelings and spirit and all kinds of stuff that you can't easily put into words. I had my Dad's medals stolen and I know who did it and can't prove it - it's at times like this you want to go atavistic !
Whether the door slammed or there was someone there Daisy has been lucky in having a reminder without real pain that the world isn't always that nice and that we all need to be on our toes. I have a Jif with a little added ammonia in my bag and the confidence it gives me I'm convinced means I'll never have to use it. Also, it's legal and I've ALWAYS been legal (honest!)

Off to cook now.

Bi

The workmen are clearing up for the day now. The Jif sounds a good idea, Jo, but if you're ever muggged, like I was in November, you mightn't have the time to use it. Your nails might be better. I suspect I'm going to replace my mobile phone - I mislaid it - and get a brightly coloured one if I can, which I can see more easily. It sounds as though you've also been through some hard times.
Just to add to my woes I now find that some of my building work may be dodgy. I had a window double glazed a few years ago. These workmen say it wasn't put in correctly. Apparently it's bowing outwards and could shatter, particularly if I open the window. So I'm not going to open the window. It definitely is bowing. The workmen's boss isn't a cowboy so these men are probably honest and telling me the truth. The builder who put the window in a few years ago was sacked by us for dodgy work in our kitchen - he tried to get £700 out us for botched work. My Dad gave in and wrote him a cheque but I contacted the CAB and following their unofficial advice, stopped it. He then threatened to sue us, but didn't. So if this work might be dodgy well I know it was done by someone who quite definitely did a cowboy on us. I don't have the documentation now for the window so I don't think I can take legal action. Thank goodness he only did one window.
I just don't know who to trust when I take on workmen, Jo. My plumber's ok but not for the big stuff. And he also recommended an electrician so I'm ok there, and I have a decent painter. I've also got a decent roofing firm, eventually.
The house is still cold but I'll have to make myself some tea soon. I have more classes. I'm in the wrong trade. I should take up building and save myself some bills!!

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

I guys, i'm feeling fine today, got over the trauma and everything is tick-a-ti-boo.

Weather here is freezing....bitter.

Good morning all! North - I didnt realize your father passed away. I had written about the orange syrup for my sick dad and you had written about your situation. So sorry to hear that. Taking my dad to a doctor today. He is really bad and hoping they will hospitalize him and get him right.
Its snowing here today. Almanec said we would be getting socked with snow this month. It always amazes me how they can predict the weather a year before and the metoroligists cant get it right the day before!! LOL
Gotta run
Jan

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Diane, how lucky you are to be able to visit your dad's grave. I only get to see my dad when I visit mum. I miss him. Jo - sounds as though you had a ball and lots of loving - wonderful! Daisy, glad to are feeling more relaxed again. It will pass!! Hello Jan :-) Patty - is it that cold for you? Turned bitter during the night, bitter to us is less than 32F but above 20F. I suppose we are spolt!! Talk later. It's amazing how much packing I did yesterday because I couldn't use the computer, but boy, did I miss it!! What - no Alan today? Gotta go and clean out some closets. Catch you later!!

Janice, sorry to hear you dad's poorly, whats wrong with him?-if you don't mind me asking....(feel free to tell me to mind my own business if you'd rather.)

Doesn't look like anyones in, catch ya all later.
Night night God Bless

Hello everyone. Just back from Spreadsheets. Cowboys are very very bad here Patty. I'm sorry there's an American word attached to them. They're tradesmen who botch work and swindle people. Like fences with foundations in the wrong place, roofers who leave tiles loose or even loosen some deliberately, botched fitted kitchens, tarmac drives which lift up, and so on. They do amateur work and charge professional rates. We have laws to deal with them but they're not very effective. There must be an American word for these people...
Have you had any luck with the orange syrup for your Dad Janice? The idea of it will buck him up no end. Visiting every day is dreadfully tiring. Both my brother-in-law and I went down with chest infections and needed antibiotics after our stint of visiting. So look after your own health and take a day or two off occasionally if you can. I think a few of the other websites will give advice on practical and emotional issues on hospital visiting.
Daisy, I hope you're recovering from your shock at the weekend. Sorry to hear about the computer Louisa. Mine's playing up a bit at the moment as well, but I've managed to get it going again.
No Alan tonight? Must have a date with a glamorous girlfriend...
Well, think I'll get myself some supper. Bye all!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yoo-hoo!! Anybody home?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Patty - I thought for heavens sake, it's quiet here! Where is everyone? I guess most Brits have gone to bed, but Alan - no! This is most unusual for him. I started on my journal and I have to be in the mood for it. I have so much to put on there and lack the energy. Had a good couple of days cleaning out closets and getting rid of the rubbish! I miss Lisa :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty I meant to tell you. I loved your photos of the critters. You must love them so much, I know I would. And what a lovely piece of land you have - it seems idyllic!

Hi Daisy
My dad has Cancer. Doc said no hospital. Said hes better off at home but he has to go to the doctor every other day.
Thanks for asking. North, I havent had time to sit down and spend the time looking for the orange syrup. I sit and check out whats going on over at Daves and continue what I have to do. I know I sat for hours last time looking for that. He hasent asked about how I am doing with it, so maybe he was just rambeling.... he wasnt making alot of sense at that time. But will check it out probably tonight.
This is a nice forum!!!
think I will stick around.
Janice

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I saw some of the posts but guess I didn't read about your 'cleaning closets' - miust have been a good day for it lol. It's amazing how much I accomplished because I wasn't on here. I know your animals are looked after - you can always tell!! If you want to work on 'rooms' for your garden, plant hedges just as though you were erecting walls for a house. Interlock them with paving and fences and pergolas. They soon become established and you can create different 'rooms'. For instance, the perennial room, the cutting room, the rose room etc.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty, saw your post about cleaning closets.....But you have to feel better for it....lol

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty - I'll be back in a min. Watching Ballykissangel on TV

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Paty, I have been researching for hedging material and there are so many possibilities. My best source of information is at the National Arboretum in Wahington. I have their book of Outstanding Trees and Shrubs. So far, in the conifer range I think that the Thujas are the hardiest and grow quite quickly. For the lower story hedging I think Im going for the Eleagnus, Portugal Laurel and the Lonicera (privet). There are many forms of privet and they also grow quickly. Yew of course, is the best hedger ever!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Patty, I thank God you are here. I wish others would join us. Have sent you email. Goodnight for now. :-)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I mailed you again. We move end of May - can't wait!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.