cold frame

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

honey wants to build me a cold frame this weekend because the house is so full I can't start anything else. If I start hardy annuals, can I put them right out there? The weather here could go 70 in daytime to 20 at night, it's weird like everywhere else. Help, hints and clues greatly appreciated!!!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Are you planning to start seeds in the cold frame? I would go for seeds that have been suggested for winter sowing. Plants that are started directly outdoors can handle the temperature swings much better than seedlings started indoors.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

If you have access to an old used waterbed matterress heater you could place it in the bottom underneath your dirt. It would be an experiment, but it should work I would think. If youy have any hot compost you could use it too to help heat the cold frame, but then it wouldnt be a cold frame would it? LOL I would think that the seeds that cn be sown right after the first frost would start ok. Anything that required warm weather prolly wouldnt do too good, like tomatoes, pepers or impatients.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that's what I was wondering, if I should continue with the winter sowing seeds, it's liable to only freeze for a week, but then again..... :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

A Cold frame would be much simpler to heat if there was a need to. Just running a light bulb in it for the night would probably be enough to keep it from freezing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.