Sunday March 25th

Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom

Are any of you up?
I had an terrifying experience last night, and i feel i need to talk about it, is anyone there?

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 25th 5:00 AM

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Hello Daisy? What's up? I'm in the house today, not gardening or at the uni. I'll be looking in at the puter occasionally but I'm also going to put on washing/ironing. If you want to talk and can't get me feel free to email me.

Somebody got into the house last night while i was on the computer upstairs!
I had just posted my last message last night when there was a loud bang downstairs. Hubby was snorring in the bedroom, but it woke abbie my daughter. I went down stairs to take a look. Nothing. Told myself to stop being so silly and got into bed. I couldn't sleep, i felt uneasy for some reason. Monkey called me through for a drink. I was glad in a way it gave me another excuse to check downstairs again.

As i walked into the kitchen i thought i'd just check the patio.....it was unlocked!!

At this point i woke steve up. He checked everything out. Said the noise was propably something else. So i went up to the computer room where i was at the time and got him to slam the door. Iwent cold.....that was without a dought the bang i heard.

We called he police just to make them awaire of the situation. The wanted to send someone to the house but i said there was no point. Nothing had been taken. 10 minuets later 2 patrol cars came down the road with no lights on. Stoppd out side our house, got out with torched serched the garden and outside area. Onw came to the door and asked to come in and check it out. He was very reasuring and checked everything, told us theyd step up patrols in the area and try not to worry.
I was fine untill the policeman left then i couldn't stop shaking uncontrolably. The realisation of what had happened hit me.

It wasn't until thismorning that i remembered going to use the downstairs bathroom about 10 minuets before the bang. Maybe i disterbed them? God i can't stop thinking about it. Ive had 4 hours sleep and feel so sick.

After having such a great day yesterday, it all went pear shaped.

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 25th 9:11 AM

I'm so sorry Daisy. I've been on the receiving end of a lot of crime as well. Have the police put you in touch with Victim Support?

no, i have a friend that works as a volenteer for VS.
I feel a bit silly feeling the way i do, its not as if they took anything or i saw them.
anyway, what are you up to, ironing? I usually wait till my daughter has nothing to wear and then i do something about it. I used to be quite 'up and at em' when it came to the housework etc. Don't know what happened really!
Whats the weather like up there today?

Do you have adequate safety for your home Daisy? The box of a burglar alarm is said to be a deterrent. Good locks on your doors. I have locks on my windows. Lighting round the outside of the house. I have 2 security light up. The one at the back door I put on if I'm going out. It's a dusk to dawn light that comes on when the light deteriorates and lights up my back door. It goes off when the light improves again. The one at my front door detects movement. If someone approaches my front door after dark it lights them up. I live on my own and there are a number of people around after dark - I live near some fast food outlets so that attracts the youths. There's also some drug addicts - mainly wanting to steal handbags, either in the street or nipping in through an open access such as an open front door. If I'm out in the garden I always lock my front door and use only the back door.
I don't know how useful the Victim Support people would be - they mainly provide support through court cases. But the police have Crime Prevention Officers. One of those could come to your home - it's free - and point out any security improvements you might be advised to make.
This person hasn't got anything and if he was disturbed he might think twice about returning. He knows now that the house is being lived in. If the Crime Prevention Officer tells you what's needed your husband will probably be able to fix it up for you.
I was mugged in November. A teenager tried to get my handbag off me. She didn't get it - I was just furious and fought right back. The police worked out who it was - a drug addict - and I was supposed to go to an Identity Parade but they've not followed through.
It took me several weeks to get over the shock. Give your daughter a good hug and your hubbie too. I'm sure that some of the others will be online later today - Alan and Louisa and that they'll be sympathetic as well. The shock will pass Daisy. Lots and lots of hugs from me!!!
Diane

Northener, your a good influence on me, you made me feel guilty about the house chors, so ive got my hubby to give me a hand spring cleaning the bedroom!! That will keep my mind occupied.

It's just basic washing my clothes Daisy! The machine does the washing!! i have to do the ironing grumble grumble. I usually put on the tv for company. I could do with spring cleaning as well but the house feels incredibly cold today. Leave that till Easter I think. The weather here is very poor. Wet and cold. Not like spring. Did you change your clock? Got to remember to alter the clock on my gas boiler - forgot last night.
Don't feel guilty about feeling shaky. Your property has been violated. Your peace of mind has been shaken. I feel a lot safer having these lights up, but I still take a look round the house/garden before I go in at nights.
Have you ever thought of getting a dog? It would be company and reassuring for you and your little girl when your hubbie is out. I don't mean the biting kind. Just one that would go "woof" if anyone approached the house or your little girl. You'd need to get the right breed. I'm sure your little girl would love having a doggie!!!

I'm afraid i'm not the doggie kind! lol
We have a cat, but, well, useless when it comes to straingers! But the dog idea, i'm warming to it. Better not say that to my other half, well be down the rescue centre by 2pm.
I was going to take a trip to the garden centre this afternoon to get some potting compost and lose myself in seed sowing. But it is absolutely bitter outside. Idea-cancelled.

My gardening's off as well today Daisy. I need to rake through my lawn and see if I can do anything about my moss. I put stuff down. Now my lawn has dark stripes and blotches. I like dogs but I'm out too much during the day and dogs like company. Rechecking your security would probably be enough. Sounds as though it isn't a good idea to leave windows open after dark apart from maybe small ones for ventilation. This person was taking a real chance though. You must have had some lights on. Keeping the house well-lit when you're in also sounds a good idea. I try to leave a couple of lights on if I know I'm going to be out during the evening. You can get timers for lights as well if you're going to be out at a concert say.
Well, I think that's my first washing done, I've got another to go in. Bye for now!
Diane

Talking of security lights weve got two small ones in the garage that have never been put up. That will be done by the end of the week!
Your right when you say the person was taking a chance. I was in the room righ above the patio doors and the light was on. We only have thin curtains as the room is not used as a bedroom. I think he slammed the patio door on his way out coz he was anoyed that i diserbed him and wanted to scare me.

I'm lucky i don't have a lawn anymore, but i remember when we did we had no end of problems with patches, from where other peoples cats decided to use it at a public convienence! Not my cat, ahes well trained, uses nothing but her own flower beds, thats why i put them in.

Daisy, its bad when that happens, i hope you are OK now, and dont feel bad about how you felt, its a natural reaction for people, it was better that you did it straight away rather than later, it helps to get it out and get over it quicker, put up your security lights and try to forget it, its up set you i know, but once you have the lights up its not likely to happen again, the place will be more secure, use both of the lights, find out if the are PIR, infra red montion detectors, with two you can cover a very large area, i am sorry this has happened to you, but you must let it go, or you will ruin yourself by it, and then the scumbag has won, we are here when you want to talk.

Alan.

Thanks for all your support guys, i'm feeling much better now.
Has anyone done anything interesting today? Ive spent the last half and hour trying to find a web site that sells garden canopies.

Hello Louisa, daisy, i expect louisa will tell us about there gloriouse spring weather again, she likes to rub it in a bit, lol, i dont know about your area daisy, but dull cold and misserable here, i have been down to the green house and check things out, but thats all today.

Alan.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

My, my, I guess the loss of one hour didn't put you people off? Did you sleep well Alan? Daisy, you'll be OK love! Initial shock reaction is like that - you will blow hot and cold, but Alan is right - try and forget about it! No we are not having the glorious morning of yesterday, in fact it dropped below freezing last night so we covered the outside pots with burlap again. It's amazing how well those plants have survived with just that filmy bit of material - but they are alive and doing well. However, it is a lovely sunny morning and we will go out later on to look at the house, I think the painters have been in. I'm getting so excited!!

sunshine, i starting to forget what thats like, british summer time started today, i think some forgot to tell Ma nature, lol, we are supposed to get a bit sun in the week too, but we get the frosty nights back with it, and with the soil so wet it freezes quickly.

Some good points there Louisa. Both my garage door and my front door blow open and slam shut if they're not shut and locked properly and a wind blows up. I put my doors on chains once I'm inside the house. I'm sure once Daisy puts those lights up that she's got she will feel a lot more secure again. I use blinds at my downstairs windows as well, if anyone came in those windows it would take longer and be noisier. Prickly plants below windows and at other vulnerable positions can also be used. I know some people put down strips of tape as well but it sounds fiddly to me.
One of my neighbours was attacked in January, Louisa, and as I'd been attacked just a few weeks previously I posted about it. I had lots of friendly, helpful advice. You're right, if we're going to be out and leaving our homes vulnerable we shouldn't advertise it too freely, but then a lot of people are out during the day at work. Perhaps not be too specific if we're going to be out during the evening after dark. Thank goodness the clock has changed. Our evenings will start to get lighter.
How's your cold Alan? Are you getting over it? Did you get a lot of plants potted out Louisa? The weather here is awful, I'm just drying off my jumpers over the radiators. I prefer to put them on the line for a blow, but not today. Oh well, back to it. Bye for now.

Hello Diane, yes its just about over, one of those annoying 24 hour things, i have a radiator full of clothes too, i am not putting them out today.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh lor! Damp clothes, dank mornings, please don't remind me. One of my most depressing moments back home was seeing my washing on the line just hanging limp on an overcast and cold, damp day. I hate that scene!! I suppose you have to do a lot of housework Alan eh? Do the boys help - or shouldn't I ask. I love a clean house but don't like cleaning it anymore (but I do). I would rather be doing other things.

i hate it louisa, never know were to start and it always takes me ages, and i spend more time cleaning up after them, and the oldest one has only been back a cuple of days and dont i know it, lol.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, teenagers can be quite untidy. My daughter was always very neat and tidy, my son - well, not too bad! I think I was pretty houseproud at one time and to a certain extent I still am, but not as much as before. I do like to see an inviting, comfortable home though! Alan which branch of the Army where you in? Did you go overseas at all?

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Patty - Wow it is cold for you brrrrrr!! No, I don't like to be hard-nosed either - always the trusting soul me!!
I have a question for you!! Why is it that most of the planting, i.e. trees, shrubs etc are planted in the Spring in the US? It just doesn't make sense to me. The US has such hot and humid summers, surely the planting would be more suited to fall. Unless of course, the area concerned has short and cool winters!!

Louisa, i was in the Royal Pioneer Corps, i have to go, i have a load of guest turned up, i will catch you all later.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well, Spring is exciting after all. An awakening!! So I suppose people have more enthusiasm and probably more stamina at this time. I have just thought that it would proabably be quite exhausting doing the really hard work at the end of a long, tiring and hot summer. What do you have planned today. I shall be going to church in 30 minutes. My friend and her son are setting off today to another state for the boy to stand trial mid week - it is very distressing and I pray he's found innocent - talk about miscarriage of justice. So he will be in my prayers this morning, as will his mother - I can only imagine what she is going through at this time.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

You too Patty - catch you later!

Knock, knock, anybody home.

Alan.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.