Watermelon Berry

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thought it might be fun to share some of the things that grow in the wild hear in Seward, Alaska. Here is one of my favorites. Sometimes called Twisted Stalk, watermelon berry is of the Streptopus species, in the lily family. I believe our variety is S. amplexifolius, having white flowers and red oblong berries that hang from each leaf juncture.

They are really quite lovely, and I seldom disturb them in my yard. The berries are heavy with a sticky juice, and though the flavor isn't particularly exciting, I am sure it would be a welcome addition to jams and jellies.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Lyles, TN

Weezingreens~ Can you tell us some more, like is it perrenial, and will they grow further south, also, can you get seeds to trade?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ivey, you beat me to the punch!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Ivy

Yes, I believe it is a perennial, since it comes up in shoots every spring, looking like an established plant. I'm sure I can get seeds from the berries in the fall. My wild plant book lists its habitat as ranging from Central Alaska and Yukon southward to California. The flower is greenish white and bell-shaped--not a real dazzler, but the berries dangle like jewels from the stems, turning deep red by the end of the season. I'll certainly save some seeds this fall and pass them around to try.

Lyles, TN

Weez~ Thanks for thinking about it and telling us all. Bet there's a lot of cool plants there in Alaska. (no pun intended)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, there are. I'll post some more later. I'd be interested in seeing what grows in other people's neck of the woods, too.

Selah, WA(Zone 6a)

Oh please keep me in mind this fall for a few seeds too. Am also interested in the other ones too. Does the wintergreen have a seed?

Thanks
Penny

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I'm sure it does Onecent, I just have to look for it! Remind me again in late August and I'll collect the seeds I can.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

That is quite lovely!!! So graceful!!

Selah, WA(Zone 6a)

Thank-you, I will put you in my fall trades.

Penny

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I can see right now that I need to make a list of the plants, seeds, and people I'm going to be trading with this fall when the seeds start coming. Otherwise, I'm going to be one of those folks starting a thread to ask who I owe something to! Let's all agree to remind each other!

lol,WZ,I hear ya':D

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

please add me to your list!really like unusual plants that will grow for me.:D

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Will do, tink, though I'm not sure how this plant would do in Texas. I'm going to try to get some seeds this fall.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Weez, what zone are you in? I think it would do OK in zone 5 where I am. Would you keep me in mind for seeds please?
Ruth

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Sure, Ruth. I'm going to keep this thread on my list so I can remember who wants seeds. My memory is just about as long as my fingernails, and this time of year that's pretty short!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.