penstemon barbatus var. praecox f. nana rondo

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

ha ha, that's a long title!
anyways, if any of you have ever grown these, maybe you can tell me about this. i'm pretty sure that such an intircately "cultivarred" plant is not going to produce much seed, or come true from seed. but , if i wanted to just expand the species, well, could i get anything out of these? tried to take seed from it, saw the seeds, and they were mostly just chunks, not sure if they were even seeds. anyone know what these might look like?

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I thought penstemon rooted quite easily from tip cuttings. Have you tried that yet?

Penstemon has become one of my favorites lately,purchased some "Red Rockets" last week' Perhaps some info here will help someone also interested in these wonderful plants.... http://wwww.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Scrophulariaceae/Penstemon.html Sis'

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 20th 10:57 AM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I've found that if you let the little seed capsules get tan colored and just crush them over a pot of soil, they will come up. I think the seed are tiny.
I've also found that all the penstemon will root either from tip or heel cuttings. The heel cuttings root the easiest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.