crepe myrtles..........

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I just rescued two 8 yr old Crepe Myrtles from my son's yard, and hubby has them planted...any advice on early care to help the rooting process?

"eyes"

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i just talked to dh he is the pro on these. i hope i'm not to late. if they are not already cut back he said to wait till they start budding to cut back. he said use medina root stimulator. he said any root stimulator but medina products are the best. they have a web site where you can check out their products i think it is www.medina.com

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks farmgirl....they were cut back last fall. I'll get the root stimulator tomorrow.

"eyes"

Are they dormant right now? I moved a 5 year old cm last winter from Atlanta to Tennessee, while it was dormant. It put out a lot less leaves and flower, but this year I am positive it will be back to normal. After you transplant, if you see those leaves start to bud out, you know you're good to go.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Yep, Dave, dormant now....I moved a huge rambling rose 2 years ago, and thought for sure I was gonna lose it, but I sprung back to life last spring too......so I'm crossing my fingers and toes here...

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Jerrie just remove any roots that are way too long, this will stimulate new fibrous roots which are the feeders and vital!!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Margaret......DH did that.......so now I wait for warmer weather.....and summer.

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And so say all of us :-)

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Couldn't miss the reference to Medina, absolutely the magic potion for transplanting. It reduces shock to almost nil, and jumpstarts anything planted. It's the vitamin B1, mostly, which I formerly used alone but can't find now. No problem, as long as I have my gallon of Medina.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

I'll pick some up today, Aimee......thanks from one Texan to another!!

"eyes"

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never heard of Medina let known seen it for sale anywhere!! Where do I find it?? From one English-Virginian to a Texan.......lolol!!!!

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Margaret, I will look on the label in a minute to see if they have a website, or to get a means of contacting them. If nothing else, I will buy you a gallon and give it to you in San Marcos! I think I have bought it at Texas chains, either garden centers or feed & seed stores. BRB
Well, no wonder you don't know about it. It is as I suspected, made in a little wide spot in the road below San Antonio, Texas, a place named Hondo, Texas. I always thought it might be named after the Medina River in that area. The gallon I have now, and probably the ones before it, came from a Texas nursery chain called Wolfe's, which I think originated in San Antonio. Don't know if it is outside Texas. I did think I had bought it at Wal-Mart, but wouldn't swear to it. Here is a contact address and phone number, although I don't know what you will do with it.
Maybe they can tell you if it's sold in your area.
Medina Agriculture Products Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 309
Hondo, TX 78861
Phone: 830-426-3011

This message was edited Saturday, Feb 16th 6:51 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Aimee I will search all avenues!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.