When to prune?

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I bought a new tri colored beech tree and planted it last July. It was a ten year old specimen. It has some crossed branches that need to be pruned out and I'm not sure when it should be done. I was told that it should wait until it's rooted in. Should I do it now or when? Also, does this variety of tree need to be fertilized? I do fertilize the lawn around it.

I'm in zone 5 Michigan

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Loon, I found out something interesting about beech trees. DO NOT prune them in the Spring. If you do, it will increase certain disease and insect problems. I would prune it now before it buds out. Your tree does not need to be fertilized if it is located in a lawn that you regularly fertilize. :)

Terri

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pete. I'll have to look to see if it has buds on it or not. If it does, I'll just wait until next year in the winter months when it's dormant.

Brenda, just so long as it's not busting out all over with new growth you should be safe and can do it now. :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I could be wrong about this but......I believe the reason for not pruning it in the Spring has something to do with the sap rising. I believe the sap oozes when it's pruned I'm sure the more knowledgeable will be able to tell you. Perhaps Sunflower.

You're right, Louisa. Lots of trees "bleed" when pruned that time of year. :)

Terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.