Ideas for attractive "structure" / background plants??

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

I need ideas:

1) I stare out at a 100' fence which I covered with white lattice panels cuz the neighbor will never cooperate w/replacing the fence. On her side are 6 HUGE monterey pines, the shade from which blocks my afternoon sun--they're the bane of my gardening existence.

I've put in 3 Austraiian tree ferns, and am looking for some other evergreens, preferably fast-growing, to put between them along the fence so that in winter I'm not staring at bright white lattice. The need to reach 6-8 feet & be attractive in shade. Ideas I've had with "buts" attached:

--bamboo.... but, too expensive
--pittosporum eugenoides...but nursery guy says they need more sun or will be rangy, and difficult
--Nandina....still in the running, but they like more sun too

2) similar situation but shorter, only to 2 feet or so

3) what are some evergreen plants which have the look, shape, demeanor of mature New Zeland Flax--preferably w/yellow-green-gold variegation, but which don't grow so slowly as NZ Flax? While some grasses meet these criteria, many are short and/or deciduous.

Any inspiration will be appreciated.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!