Viburnums

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Thought I would let folks know that I have entered a number of viburnums into the plants database (about half of what I will eventually enter) along with a lot of photos. These are probably the most magnificent shrubs in the plant kingdom with a little of something for everyone.

Some of them have gorgeous foliage, some are deciduous with blazing fall color, some are evergreen, some have marvelous fragance, some have an incredible display of flowers, some have magnificent displays of berries some of which are edible, many of them are native to the US, and some have nearly all of these attributes combined. And, to top it all off, most of them are adaptable to a wide range of growing conditions and are insect and disease free. As Michael Dirr has said "A garden without a viburnum is akin to life without music or art." If you are not familiar with viburnums, I invite you to check these out.

Also, go_vols has entered in a number of native, or honeysuckle azaleas, that are worth taking a gander at while you are over there. Just about every one of these are fragrant (hence the name honeysuckle azaleas), and some of them bloom in late summer!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Copperbaron, I see you've added photos to my (at the moment) favorite viburnum - V. acerifolium. Also known as Maple-Leaf Viburnum. It's on my "wish list" of plants to try in our front landscaping.

Thanks for all the plants and photos you've contributed. The sheer number of plants and shrubs in existence never ceases to amaze me - even before factoring in cultivars and varieties!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And in case you missed any - which I'm sure you have not - I posted a link to a German site on Landscaping with many photos to these gorgeous shrubs. Good work copperbaron!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.