Thoughts from a Newby

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

WOW!!! What a great site and what a great group of caring people you all are!! Signed on two weeks ago and I am still learning how to navigate my way around. In my wanderings (both mental and mouse)through the threads I have already had my investment in subscription repaid ten-fold by the wealth of knowledge that is out there as well as the joy of finding such a diverse group of gardeners. In answer to one thread - How to get more folks to subscribe - I think somehow emphasizing to new members like myself on the homepage or Welcome Mat (yes I wiped my feet) how little the cost is compared to the money saved by the wealth of information, tips, and guidance provided by your site. (In the first ten minutes I paid for the subscription in money saved by a thread on grow lights.) As for the ease and friendliness of the site, I do have two questions...Would someone clue me in on some of the abrieviations - DH,DD,DW etc (Darling,Devious, Devoted, Dumbfounded,Designated significant other, Husband,Huckster,Daughter,Wife, Whinner, Winner ) ? But my real big question is how do you find the time to both garden and do so much here? My wife is already giggling(does that mean I am Gaggling?) that I spend so much time here that I won't get all my seeds started in time!!!! Any who and how, glad to be here and will end this long diatribe and save more thoughts for later.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Tim and welcome to DG! I was clueless on the abrieviations too! Sis started this thread a while ago and I saved it just to help me out! Now it can help you too!!!http://davesgarden.com/showthread/76907.html

Oh yea part of the fun here is trying to get your daily housework or yardwork whatever it might be done! We are all addicted so I guess you just fit in the with the rest DG addicts!!!!!!!
sue

This message was edited Sunday, Jan 27th 2:07 PM

Yes Tim I'm the "culprit" lol' Many of us have the condition known as CTS (carpal(sp) tunnel syndrome) and arthritis' It helps many of us to abbreviate and appreciate alls patience with us that use it,for fun or otherwise'

So glad you found DG and are enjoying learning with us'

What's housework? Nevermind,the Flylady will swope down and start her recruiting again,lol' Always have time for yardwork though' TIA Sis'

PS,TYVM Sue'

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome to Dave's Garden, your going to love it here...
We would love you to Gaggle, Makes this site more fun..
Again welcome...(from a Michiganer)

My, My, Thank you for the responses!!! Sue, TFTHL it was most helpful and I do know L,BTG (Later, Back To Gardening). Sis, Are we allowed to use dirty words like that - you know, like Housework? On the other hand...I prefer the phrase Yard Therapy(not YardWork)!!! And To WantabeGardener - Thanks for the welcome, I'll try not to Gaggle to much...Speaking of which...If it's a gaggle of Geese, what's the corresponding phraseology for in the garden? A rally of radishes? A troop of tomatos? A bean brigadoon? A Volley of Vols? - You go Vols!!
TAFN - Love and Bullets,TimothyT

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Why hello there Timothy!! I see you've met some of the family already!! Yes, we like to gaggle, laugh and cry, share ideas and learn a great deal from each other. Only trouble is, gee whiz I'm DGing my life away!! This ex British pat is getting to grips with the US and beautiful Virginia - yes, I'll even accept the red clay soil..with reservation!! Glad to have you on board :-)

Mason, MI

Hi TimothyT,
You've found the best group
of caring gardeners around!
Welcome from yet another Michigander! :-)

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

Welcome, you're right, a subscription to DG does pay for itself. I cancelled a magazine subscription to justify my subscription for here, and saved $5 by doing so. I look at it this way - I only get the magazine once every two months and it really has only limited info in it. I can come here and do so much more, like: trade seeds and plants, and actually commune with other poeple of like-mind, and trouble shoot plant problems with enough time to correct the problem, without losing the plant. Truelly a bargain!!!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Well hey, hey Timothy glad you joined us. Your right it is addictive you might need to get your DW(dear wife to join too) so she don't feel left out. lol I never had a doubt about the subscription here this has become my home away from home and I know I can find anything I need here. I am sure you will fill the same way. Hope to see you around the garden soon.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Tim-welcome to our group-I think your going to fit right in here. Yes, I find it hard to get out of davesgarden and into my gardens. Its winter here-so more time is spentd inside. Come spring/summer, I just get up earlier to start my day with davesgarden and rejoin some nights!LOL Its very addicting-like flowerz!
michigander here too!
dori-notmartha! =]

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Welcome, Timothy! Great to have you here gardening (and gaggling) with us. Gee, are we supposed to actually GARDEN? Hmmm. I figured virtual gardening was all I really need :)

Just kidding. Notmartha's right - the forums get a bit quieter in the spring and summer, although truth be told, I find myself on here in the heat of the day. I come inside to enter something in my garden journal, and then I have to check the forums, and the next thing I know, DH (you DO know who that is now, right?) is pulling up and it's time for dinner!

Thanks for the insight from a newbie. Did you happen to take the tour of DG before you signed up? Dave recently did some work to it, to try to better explain what we offer here, but it's a work in progress. So suggestions are always welcome :)

Glad you found us, and tell your DW to quit giggling and get her own subscription ;0)

Wow, Again!!! Thanks to all for your hardy welcome!
When I got home today it was either drag in the grow table and lights or jump to DG - Guess what I did.
Louisa, what I want to know is why the same guy who obviously went accross the nation selling that green shag carpet did not come up with a Southern Red Clay colored carpet. MicheleN, I fully agree DG is a great bargain. mystic, I'm already working on DW to join, but then I might have to share computer time! notmartha, glad to hear from you, and yes it's very addicting. go_vols, Yes, Now I know DH,but I have not been able to get the DGTour because my antique computer times out before it will fully load. Again, thank-you all for your kind welcome and I'll see you in the forums!!! Love and Bullets, TimothyT

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Timothy
Welcome to DG make yourself at home a bunch of great folks here.

Paul

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Welcome - I'm a newbie too, but have already gotten more than my monies worth. There are a lot of good folks here, and I've only met a few of the many.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Timothy----We have a great fourm on Computor fixes too....Sure got me some great information in there.....Check it out..Love and Bullets, right back at yeah!!!!!

Northern Piedmont, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome Timothy! Pull up an easy chair and sit a spell...you will really feel comfortable here at Dave's. Lots of gardening help, lots of laughs and always a shoulder when needed.

Jean

BTW, how do you like the weather this week? Like spring, huh?

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Welcome TimothyT..from a Canadian gardener..there are a few of us here..
and yes..it is addicting....Look out!

Crossville, TN

TimothyT and Copperbaron...Welcome to the best darn site on the web!!! Have you made plans to attend the DG Round-up in TN on June 28th & 29th. If not, you will kick yourself later when you learn how much you want to meet some of these nice people in person...as we would LOVE to meet you both!! Love and Hugs to you! Jo in AZ...well actually, I'm visiting Florida for the month of Feb...but will be back in AZ by March!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Tim, welcome and would love to meet you and DW at the round-up! If you find that Red Clay carpet, please put me in touch with them!!!

(Zone 5a)

Welcome TimothyT I am sorry I wasn't here to welcome you but I am here now. So just take your time and just try to get to all the forums and enjoy youself, glad to have you.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Welcome TimothyT! I am so sorry I missed your welcome earlier. This is the best bunch of people ever. You will love it here.

Thank-you JoanJ and windsurffer, I,ve been having a blast!! Hope you are well and LOL !!

(Zone 5a)

TimothyT let me know if or when you get through all the forums here lol.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Welcome here DG so friendly people.

Windsurfer, You mean people actually get to ALL the forums!?!?! Criminy! I can barely keep up with just the few I normally watch. But, I'll keep surfing
Thank-you for the welcome RedRose and you're right - it's the friendliest place in the world full of good caring folks and I'm loving it!
Love and Bullets,
Timothy T.

(Zone 5a)

I don't know if anyone beside Dave(lol) that might have been through all the forums here, I quit trying and just started to enjoy the ones I can.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I am glad to hear that you like it here. =)

Crossville, TN

TimothyT...we have a lot of nice folks in NC...have you met any of them? I have "kin folk" in Winston-Salem (and about anywhere else you might mention...LOL), and it is a lovely city. Jo

Windsurfer -Like you, I am now concentrating on those forums I enjoy viewing with my morning cup a joe, but darn it I keep finding more great thoughts on others!!!!
RoadRunner - No I have not met any fellow NC DGers in person yet. And in the small world department - I lived in AZ for over ten years Phoenix then Camp Verde-Sedona area. My DD moved back there to Cottonwood last year. When I come out to visit maybe we'll hook up!!!!

(Zone 5a)

TimothyT it is a lot of fun looking around and just about the time you thought it couldn't get any better, you find another post that is a nice surprise. I just skip around here and there just to check them out lol. My favorite is the pictures, I love to see all the beautiful flowers and craft project that everyone is working on and just have fun.

Crossville, TN

TimothyT...I do hope you get to come out this way...a warm welcome waitng for you here in Southern AZ...about an hour south-east of Tucson. Don't forget to stop by and set a spell! We might even have a BBQ.....have to do something with all this Mesquite!! Jo

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

Hi TimothyT

Yes we are all just about nuts and can gaggle for hours about nothing. And if that's not enough for you than you can find us on adventures with Bobby, having tea, or the even in huanted houses. Never a dull moment here on Dave's.

Don't be shy just jump right in and have some fun.

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.