White Tail Deer Food

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

At one time WalMart sold a pelletized Deer Food but I haven't seen it for a couple years. Does anyone know where else I could get it or something comparable? Thanks!! "T" :)

Geneseo, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Sledder, We have a deer feeder and just put corn and oats in it for them along with a salt block.. they ate it and didn't complain one bit!! Bon

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I too am interested in this subject. I hate to see the deer hungry and can't even get angry with them for eating what's left of my plants - disappointed yes, angry no!! Where would I get corn and oats?

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

We have been feeding deer for years. I absolutely love watching them. And they don't eat all flowers...just certain ones. They seem to have a real liking for daisies. It's funny..only the flowers..not the stems. lol Louisa, do you have a local feed mill or a farm? They would have corn for feeding their animals..that's what we feed the deer now. But they're getting hungry from all the snow. I'd like to give them something else. I have an apple block and a mineral block for them and they're really going at them both. Oats sounds good. Do you think hay? I can get a bale or two of that. Any other thoughts? My pets are hungry...LOL Thanks!! "T" :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sledder, whatever I had left after the drought,they have eaten. My newly planted hedges, the large privet, have disappeared!! Yes, we have hundreds of farms around us!! What is apple, mineral and salt block???

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I get all of those blocks at our local feed mill. They are just what they're named. They are blocks about 12 x 12 give or take and they have apples, or salt in them. The mineral is brown and I'm not sure what's in it but they like it the best. And yes, they love hedges..especially they new growth. It's tender..and since they don't have any front teeth it's easy to pull off. A fence will work until they get established. They will sometimes leave them alone after that. Oh, and they LOVE roses. I found that out the hard way. But everything up north is covered with a blanket of snow..and it's pretty deep. "T" :)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks - will go raiding local farms :-)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

You can put out some good hay too. That's what the rangers here put out when the grass is gone.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Acorns also.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hay is a good idea. I have access to that at the feed mill. Do they bag acorns? And don't they feed hay to the elk out in Jackson Hole, Wyoming? ummmm,,,you've got me thinking...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.