winter sowing

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Have just been rereading all the posts about winter sowing, and am getting started. But I was wondering if this would work for hemerocallis?? I have lots of seeds in the fridge tha I paid a small fortune for on ebay and can't afford to lose them.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

tiG, I have just winter-sown my tree and shrub seeds, perennials are next! Daylilies are the one plant I did not try last year, as I needed something under lights to keep my mind occupied over the winter. This year, hosta seedlings are taking up a lot of prime grow light room, so I am debating this too. I have a lot of named crosses to start, and will probably do at least some outdoors.

Found one item in "Daylilies and How to Grow Them", by Ben Arthur Davis: "seed should be planted in protected beds. Those that do not germinate in the fall will probably do so in the spring." Seems to me like a good indication that daylilies are fine candidates for winter-sowing. John

Hi tiG' Everyone has their own opinions as well as their experiences' Living where you are and the ground not freezing or getting snowpack is somewhat different than how I,in z5, would sow hemerocallis' Goes without saying, some would think. However, many new gardeners who cannot afford many books or get to libraries do read our posts and learn,as why I mentioned the difference in growing areas'

Holding seeds in the fridge can also be detremental to many seeds as well tiG'' Now many cultivars are suited to hot climates while others can't take the heat' Are yours best for your climate to grow,is a very important question tiG?
Also seed-grown plants will be variable and are often inferior to the parent plant' Since you have given them the cooling period,I would plant them now' It's gonna take more than just one season to get them established anyway but regardless that's the fun of growing hemerocallis from seed' The waiting and suspense of what your flower will surprise you with,lol'HTH Sis'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Sis, every grower that I've ever read or talked to recommends keeping hemerocallis in the fridge until sowing. That's why they're there. Whether they turn out to be inferior, only time will tell, but it's the only way to get new cultivars, so I have my fingers crossed.
John, how did yours do under the lights last year? Wondering whether to keep that space free and wait until spring or not. Same with hostas, have too many to put under the lights. They are in the fridge as well.

As well I too know tiG,stratification techniques' If they were open polinated they will be inferior but that is very exciting also' Keeping my finners crossed too,lol'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

tiG
I sowed some daylily seeds last winter, in January, in an unheated greenhouse. They sprouted in the spring when it warmed up. I would think winter sowing them would be fine. Just hold a few back if you'd feel better.

Good Luck!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks jody!

tiG:
Daylily seed starting on this forum,scroll down to Nov.12'
Some interesting links,enjoy' Still can't do links sure glad others are more talented,lol' Sis'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks!! didn't know that was there:)

FSH, TX

Whether the pistal was open pollinated or hand pollinated I think is a mute point. In the end all that matters is what pollen pollinated the pistal and a bit of luck. More importantly the luck. One can cross the same pollen to hundreds of flowers on the same type hybrid and still come up with an endless amount of variation. You won't get the same flower, branching, etc. Most would say that the hybrid is only as good as the parent plants, but one can never tell...I think...therefore I wonder....Still, I figure that if one only has hybrids one wants to cross in ones yard then any crosses formed in ones yard will be ones one will desire....Of course I am still looking for my magic seedlings, so go figure. Who let the dogs out....

(Zone 6a)

I have always stored day lily seeds in freezer and then planted them outside around the first of April, with excellent germination rate. They seem to grow like weeds.

Owen

tiG, mine did great under lights last year. The odd thing is that those started in February did much better than those started in December. By the end of summer, I had huge fans growing (in the ground), some already multiplying. I feel hopeful many will bloom this summer, as the plants are so vigorous. While the plants were under lights, I gave them 'haircuts' as needed; seemed to encourage new leaves... I think I will try a variation of Jody's advice, I don't have a greenhouse, but do have an unheated porch. When they sprout, will move outdoors to a sheltered area. I believe if daylily seeds are planted absolutly fresh, when harvested, there is no need for cold treatment. That only becomes necessary if held for planting. Sis', you are right about seedlings of hybrid plants generally being inferior to the parents, but that is why one needs to grow out so many seedlings of the same crosses to find one worthy of introduction. A planned cross can be a good idea, as a daylily with certain flaws, but perhaps wonderful color can be crossed with a daylily that has higher bud count, for example. In reality, I often find myself with some pollen in hand, looking around for a likely flower in bloom that day to cross it to! John

My info is from my book by Rodales' Was only offering what I could to help'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

of course!! you always are there for us:)

FSH, TX

John,
Have you tried freezing you pollen. Freezing your pollen means you don't need to find that flower on that day...you can find it the next year if you'd rather. Of course one can peel the flower back to expose the pistal and pollinate it a day early as well. Bud count, branching, color, substance,....so much and so few seeds....
Good point John, after reading my post over again I see that my post may leave one believing that any cross will result in a desireable hybrid or one more desireable than either parent. This is most certainly not the case. I may plant a few hundred seedlings, but I only keep a very few that I actually like to breed with out of a few hundred. With other hybrids I actually keep far less.

Bumping this to the top for a new season!

East Meadow, NY

Daylilies can be WSed with plenty of success!

Poojer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.