Funny names.

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

I dont know about where you live, but i live in Lancashire and we have some wierd names for towns and villages, just to give you a few, there is a place near Bury and its a lovely place and is surrounded by the moors called Ramsbotton, also go to another place which is on the way to Burnley called Oswaldtwistle which is quite pleasant as that again is surrounded by the moors again, and the last one which is quite near me is a lovely but very very expensive place to live is Last Drop Village. There are more, so what funny place name do you have quite near to yourselves?

We have a few villages down here which have strange names, it always sets me to wondering how they got them. We have a Sway, Dead Maids, Soberton, Codford, Winterslow,Hordle and many others. I once worked in a very small village/hamlet called Wyke Champflower in Somerset, for such a large name there were only about 10 houses there.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

How about Intercourse, Pennsylvania? does that qualify?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

We have very odd names here also:

First in Finnish, then a possible translation (Finnish names can never be translated to English):

Raamattu - Bible
Terskanperä - End of the Glans
Äkäslompolo
Karigasniemi - Cape of Karigas
Varkaus - Robbery
Utsjoki - Utsriver
Sodankylä - War's Village
Imatra
Janakkala
Nakkila
Noormarkku
Mynämäki
Kotka - Eagle
Espoo :) I wonder what it means..
Helsinki - does it sound odd to you? Like Hell is Sinking?

This message was edited Wednesday, Jan 16th 12:10 PM

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

HOw about Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania?

We have lots of Birds ith Hands here especially as Pub names.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

Some interesting names in the Durham region. Pity Me comes to mind.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

we have lots of 'piddles' and 'puddles' Puddletown, Piddletrentide,Battery Bank,Bryant's Puddle,Poxwell,sixpenny Handley,tilly whim, Tollpuddle,turnerspuddle,Winspit, witchampton,Duds Bury,I'd love to know how some of these places got their names.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

we have

Ahoghill - a-clear your throat-ill

Broughshane - bruh shane

Omagh - oma witha short a. never said right by UK and foreign journalists

Newtownards - newtun-ards

Muff - always raises an eyebrow

Bet you can't pronounce Kirkcudbright and Burntisland.

Muff? LOL

Northener nope can't pronounce them let us in on the secret ;)

I live next to a village called Buttlocks Heath although the local kids nenamed it buttocks heath. I used to work on a farm in a tiny hamlet called Lower Upham and my Mom was born in a place called Coven.

I know how to say Kirkcudbright thats so easy but maybe it's because of the scottish Irish link that we got to hear.

I'll not tell you how to say Kirkcudbright and leave it to Notherner. I thought it was one of the better known names.

I dont know about the other name other than the obvious.

Mark

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I would really like to learn to spell the Lannfairpwyllgyn....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

We have a Hell Michigan!

Evert

Its Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch,

The name means St. Mary's Church in a hollow - white hazels - near to the rapid whirlpool - St. Tysil's Church - red cave. More often shortened to Llanfair P. G.

Now try the pronounciation :)

This message was edited Monday, Jan 21st 6:45 PM

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

On Jackass on MTV Johnny Knoxville visited a town called 'Myanus', i can't remember which state in the US that it was in... lol. he kept pointing to stuff saying for instance 'look - there's a dog in Myanus, there's a general store in Myanus' etcetc

i know theres a town called 'Nowhere' near to where i live.. there's also a philadelphia just up the road near to Houghton-le-spring.

as Northerner hasnt been here in a week I'll tell you how to say Kirkcudbright

ker-coo-bree

Mark

Lilith you just reminded me, we have a No-mans-land in the Forest and a Canada which is really tiny.

Mark

Thanks I was wondering how it should sound.

Yes, Mark's right. The second one is just as it looks - amazing how many people try to make it complicated though!!!!

If you're around Sheila, a couple of folks at GW were asking after you!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Coming in on the conversation a bit late, but have only just subscribed. Locally we have Wormshill (a bit tame), and 5 miles away, Hucking gets its signpost altered on a regular basis.

Yes Pholomel i could just imagine that too. LOL And welcome to Daves Garden.

Enkoping, Sweden

if you translate my townsname to english its called

united buying "Enköping" but it means the little town witch united the kings road in all directions noth,south,east,west
and its the nearest town in Sweden.this is the town with most towns in an area of 80 km including our capitol Stockholm

Roger Dahlstrom

Hello Roger, great to see a Swede here! Have you said hello on the Welcome Mat forum? This forum's slightly sleepy at the moment but I expect it will liven up when we get more spring-like weather and get back out into the garden again. Of course, one or two people have greenhouses, not me - having a browse thru seed catalogues though. Welcome!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.