Trees available in the US

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I want to grow crabapple trees and would very much like your opinions on the selections available and which will be successful here in VA. I grew Golden Hornet in England and the fruit was delicious. I am also looking for weeping trees such as the weeping birch (Betula Pendula 'Youngii') and the Japanese cherry (Prunus Kiku Shidare Zakura). Do you think they are available here in the US? Thanks!

Olive Branch, MS(Zone 7b)

Crabapples are very prone to disease in the US. Be sure that you select a disease resistant variety. Also, are you wanting to harvest the fruit? Many of the ornamental crabapples are now virtually fruitless, as it was considered a drawback. I believe "Prarie Fire" is considered to be one of the most disease resistant cultivars. I hope so, I bought it last year, and it's just now burst into bloom. It's lovely.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Terri and Sunflower. Yes, I do want to harvest the fruit. I think they are delicious and I want to make jelly. Since you have just bought such a tree, I imagine now that you will get the fruit late Summer eh? Please let me know how the tree is faring from time to time. Thanks.
By the way, apple blossom flowers are my favourite of all time.

(Zone 9a)

Louisa,
Talk to the local ag. extension agent in the county where you live. He/She will be able to give you a list of the exact varieties recommended for your area.

Hope this helps.
Bloomer

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thankyou friends for this helpful and much needed info!

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

I don't live from you and the place I work for carries Betula pendula "Youngii" therefore I feel you should be able to find it in Charlottesville, VA as well. I have a list of diease resistant crabapples, the list came from VA Tech, so if you visit their site ( it looks like you have the URL's above) it should be available online. If not I will try to remember to bring the list home. Sally

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally you have made my day about the Silver Birch. I need to see how far Powhatan is from me. Yes, I visited the Virginia Tech site and I am making a selection soon regarding the crab apple. Thanks, maybe you can mail me sometime :-)

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi puttyrat and welcome to DG! :)

Terri

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Louisa,

The place I work for is in Richmond. I did not check our stock after I last posted, but if you are truely interested in the weeping birch I can make sure we have it in stock. Also I found the crabapple list.

Thanks everyone for the welcome, this looks like a great site.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

It is, Sally, but I have to warn you that it's very habit forming! Pretty soon you'll be as addicted to DG as we all are! LOL

Terri

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Sakky, you are going to be so close to me when I move in May. I shall be about 30 mins from Richmond. Wow! Does this mean that I have actually found a keen gardener at last. There are two more friends I have made in VA, one is about 30 mins North of Charlottesville and Ladygreenthumbs is in north Virginia. She is so nice!!! She is actually acting as receiver and distributor for geraniums in the Co-op forum. Do you mind if I mail you? And thanks so much for giving me all that wonderful news. :-)

SAKKY?? Or even Sally ......LOL - sorry for the typo

This message was edited Friday, Mar 23rd 6:24 PM

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Louisa,

I do not mind if you email me. Do I post my email address here or is there a way you can get it from my registration?
I am already addicted to this site Pete2, LOL.

A bit about myself. First I do not know everything about plants! I do hold a Master of Science in Horticulture from VA Tech. I recently have become addicted to daylilies, so any of you "hem" nuts feel free to jump in. In fact I found this site from a Daylily forum where it was posted.

Louisa, I would love to meet you whenever you get settled. I live in Powhatan County which is south of the James River and about 20 miles west of Richmond. I work for the Best Garden center and retail nursery in Richmond maybe even in VA. Hope you can stop by.

Sally

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Sally, (sorry about the Sakky earlier). I will mail you and then you can come back to me. This is so exciting - at last I meet another fanatic!!!

Ridgeland, SC(Zone 8a)

HI, I'm looking for a source for Chinaberry trees. I know they are messy, but they are beautiful trees. Iam a new member of DG. Looks like I might finally get some info. I'll be checking in a lot, & maybe I can be of some help to someone else. By the way, I live in humid zone 8.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.