Freezing birds??

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

How do those little things survive this ice storm!! Surely their little bodies must freeze. But they are still out there and I saw a red cardinal yesterday.......doesn't he know it's warmer in Florida, or is it!!! Doves too, scratching around in the frozen earth!! Saving all the bacon fat because we don't eat it and mixing with all sorts of goodies. I have a sneaking suspicion the squirrels are getting there first though. Haven't seen the geese for at least two weeks so maybe they have headed for warmer climes also. They should have taken me with them!!

Great question Louisa somehow they do though' I keep my birdbath heated to warm their little bodies and plenty of food,making more today with lard for them' The squirrels can be a nuisance to say the least' I purchase the squirrel-proof feeders so no problem' I've also caught the squirrels bathing in the birdbaths too,soo fun to watch the little dickens,lol' Their personal little hot tub'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

How do you keep the birdbath warm Sis??? I am dying to know the answer!! I don't begrudge the squirrels really and do love them also!!

You can purchase a complete birdbath already wired to only plug in when the weather gets bad' Or as I did,purchase the heater by itself and just lay(the heater element) inside and run an outdoor extension cord and plug in'
Sure saved me after many years of nearly catching pneuomonia,slipping and heavy water jugs to contend with,lol' HTH Sis'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well that just too easy to be true...lol!! But it sounds great and will look into it. Thanks!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Yes, they are great.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

I got my heated birdbath this year.... Not only is it a life saver for the birds but a real show for DH and I. They are really fun to watch. I purchased mine with the stand for $59.00 at our local birdfeed store.It was a splurge but I really enjoy it. I throw a pot of water in it every other day and thats about it. Really works well. Meems

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Hmmm - I"m going to try to find me one of those, Meems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.