Helene removed bark from large Tulipe Poplar: How to Treat?

Athens, United States

Helene removed a lot of bark from several of my Dogwoods. I plan to cut them down since they were already sick with something that loosens the bark and results in it falling off. However, upon inspecting the aftermath of Helene, I was surprised to see that a lot of bark was missing from the base of a large Tulip Poplar tree that is next to my house. At least the tree didn't get knocked onto the house. I would like to try to save it. I estimate that a total of about 2 to 2 1/2 square feet is missing from two sites. I've found a lot of products for patching up and bandaging tree wounds on amazon, but I have no experience. Does anyone have recommendations for the best way to treat this tree?
Thank you

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We did a search and here's an article that may help.

https://mcculloughtreeservice.com/certified-arborist/save-tree-damaged-bark/

This company is in Florida, so you might want to give them a call or email for some more detailed advice. Good luck with your tree.

I was personally in the 2021 west Kentucky tornado and many of the trees were horribly damaged. It has been nearly 3 years and while the trees may not look very photogenic, most of them did survive, so there's hope for your tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.