Unusual pod in Macon County SW NC

Could you please identify this? It was a cluster of green pods that were light weight, roundish, smooth skinned, and when cut open, there was pulp with a small brownish soft center. It was found at the edge of the woods in Macon county North Carolina. Found low growing on a skinny, woody branch/stem.

Thumbnail by Bluecyrus Thumbnail by Bluecyrus Thumbnail by Bluecyrus Thumbnail by Bluecyrus
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Perhaps an unripe fruit from American persimmon. Photos of tree and leaves always helpful.

Thank you!

Whitesburg, TN(Zone 6b)

Quote from MaypopLaurel :
Perhaps an unripe fruit from American persimmon. Photos of tree and leaves always helpful.

This could be true. I started to say May Apple, but then they don't make a cluster. If it is persimmon, unripe...then there is any easy way to confirm this.

1. Play a song, or get one going in your head, and start to whistle along
2. As you are halfway thru the 2nd chorus, reach down and grab a freshly sliced piece of that fruit.
3. Pause the whistling just long enough to squeeze some of the juice out of that slice into your mouth.
4. Spit, or swallow, your choice...
5. Go right back to whistling your happy tune.

If you find that you can NOT, by any and all known laws of physics, possibly whistle again for a couple of minutes... even if your very life depended on it. Then it is a green persimmon.

If it is Persimmon, then you need to figure a way to get them off of the tree before the possum do.

Congrats

If not Persimmon, then it might be any of a dozen types of weeds/invasive plants. Have someone with you, in case it is something you are allergic to...or it is a fluke Jimson Weed, which it is definitely not, due to lack of spikes one the outside.

Whatever it is, I am thinking that I might want to trade some seeds, lol

Thanks, but this is not a persimmon. I have persimmon trees and this is not a persimmon.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Could it be a wild pear? Fruits are clustered, small & round. The pulp stays firm, like an apple, until they begin to rot. We have several. Those trees have some fierce thorns and when they drop fruit, with help from squirrels, it's treacherous. Like walking on ball bearings.

The pulp was not firm and the plant had no thorns. There was no distinctive odor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.