ID this please

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

This plant or shrub showed up in the garden and I want to know what it is before I pull it out.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan

It's always exciting to discover new plants in your garden! Based on the image, the plant looks like a hydrangea. Hydrangeas are popular for their stunning, voluminous flower clusters that come in a variety of colors. They're generally low-maintenance and can bring a lot of beauty to your outdoor space. Before deciding to remove it, consider giving it some time to see how it develops. It might surprise you with its growth and beauty! If you're interested in learning more about hydrangeas or gardening in general, https://www.mklibrary.com/california-super-bloom/ has some great resources that could provide helpful insights and tips.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2024 2:22 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Red Tip Photinia.

Decatur, GA

Looks like Red Tip to me.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Wow - no way that is any member of the Hydrangea genus, which all have opposite arrangement of leaves. The image clearly represent alternate arrangement of simple leaves. Definitely a member of Rosaceae, and I have no argument with Redtip Photinia.

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

I think it is a seedling of the native wild black cherry tree in the next yard. Some bird must have "deposited" the seed after eating the numerous little fruits this tree produces.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.