Some kind of Lily?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I was wondering if someone would recognize this 'lily' like flower/plant.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...
PS - In south Florida...

Thumbnail by birdwatchbeth Thumbnail by birdwatchbeth
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This looks like a blue walking iris, likely Genus Neomarica. Family Iridaceae.

Lovely photo!

walking iris, AKA Apostle Plant
Walking iris is not native to Florida but it is considered a Florida-Friendly plant. It is commonly found in USDA Hardiness Zones 8B–11.

walking iris are clumping herbaceous perennials. They produce long, glossy green leaves and small, iris-like flowers. The flower's outer petals spread almost horizontally. Three curled inner petals add a pop of texture to the center of the bloom
These striking blooms only last a day, but as flowers die more will follow for an extended period. How long your plant continues to flower will depend on the species.
Walking iris can be grown in full or partial shade. It can tolerate a range of soil types but does best in moist locations.

This Univ. of FL page is also highly recommended:
https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/ornamentals/walking-iris.html

You can send your pic to your county's agriculture extension service, if you need to know its exact Botanical genus & species names.

Footnote: Plant identified via Google Lens search, https://lens.google.com/search?hl=en&p=AbrfA8q1zXnreD5adML_hxiBhEV-_PeLLNqILTE1U491KcJ4j4xJqkAFLMYYDIVAwiOlQ9YcnMP6EgJB0B9U3o-gI4aFp1OSpoACIGIktefTH7qYoss0l_QlhEcrkaA_hh-CrtqEmbYFiekWPhyAXrM0eubUgiBEDdoGc0lMtCXl5tFL2WIyjVSxMiGFLfhfw6Az0xJLaC5tfctclg%3D%3D#lns=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLDEsIkVrY0tKR00wTkdRNE9USTVMVFEwTldJdE5EVmlZUzA0WkRSaExUVTJPREZpWVdRek1qVXdPQklmY3pkNWNrMHhiekpyUjBsaGEwaDRiR3BST0hJemVEazBZMVp4T1RSU1p3PT0iLG51bGwsbnVsbCxbW251bGwsbnVsbCwiaXAtMSJdLFsiYzBlOGYyYTgtMDgyZS00YzM1LWI4OGUtODEzYzVlYzRlNzk0Il1dLG51bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLFtudWxsLG51bGwsW251bGwsWzAsMCwxMDAwMDAsMTAwMDAwXV1dXQ==

This message was edited Mar 7, 2024 8:33 PM

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hi NewLeafTX !
I believe you are correct! I'm sorry to reply so late - I hadn't yet looked to see if I had an answer. Thank you *so* much for the info. And such a long and informative reply!
Please have a wonderful evening and thanks again.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You're welcome, birdwatchbeth! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.