Pickled tomatoes?

Mantorville, MN

Thinking of making hot kosher pickled green tomatoes this coming year. Any thoughts on varieties which might work best. I'm guessing cherry type for size of a determinate variety so I have enough to process at one time.
Thoughts?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I only grow indeterminate & use both green cherries of every type and quartered slicers but not beefsteak. Real kosher pickles are ferments which I sometimes do. Having grown up in a world of delis and kosher food, I don't know what those things are on grocery store shelves labeled "kosher pickles". The next best approximation to fermented kosher pickles is to make a boiled water & vinegar brine and pack your tomatoes with fresh dill, slivers of garlic (lots) & whole peppercorns & pop them in pints as they become available. They should last three or more months in the fridge. If a white layer forms on top after several months that is kahm yeast. The product is still safe to eat though there might be a slight funk. That's ferment. That same yeast will form on commercial olives or pickles that are aged.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.