Advice needed: Epiphyllum care

NSW, Australia

Hi
I'm new here and a novice gardener. I have taken over the care of my fathers plants and garden and have a large Epiphyllum (Epiphyllum phyllanthus I think) that has been shabby and neglected for years.
I want to move it to a more shaded position and I have a place in mind but I wasn't sure if I should take some cuttings or dig up and try and move the entire plant.
My understanding is that it's red colouration is due to sunburn/stress and it currently gets full morning and midday sun.
So my main question is: is the plant too stressed to handle repotting/repositioning or should I start anew with cuttings? Thanks in advance

Thumbnail by AussieGuy Thumbnail by AussieGuy Thumbnail by AussieGuy
San Francisco, CA

Hey mate, Look, you want to get that thing out of the sun as soon as you can. They’re tough little buggers and will survive the move.
Cut that damaged foliage off if you want to make it look a bit tidier, won’t hurt it either.
Cheers.

NSW, Australia

Quote from Vestia :
Hey mate, Look, you want to get that thing out of the sun as soon as you can. They’re tough little buggers and will survive the move.
Cut that damaged foliage off if you want to make it look a bit tidier, won’t hurt it either.
Cheers.

Excellent, very happy to hear. I was concerned it was too stressed to survive.
I have to move a big Monstera then I'll replace it with the Epiphyllum. The coming week is supposed to be overcast, so the Epi. should be fine where it is for a little while longer.
Thanks so much for your help. There isn't much info I could find on transplanting sun stressed succulents online.

NSW, Australia

Woo! The Epi. is doing much better in its new position.
The leaves are greening up and it is covered in flower buds.
I was able to get some pics of one tonight. Pretty sure it's a Epiphyllum hookeri from the look of the flowers.
Thanks again :)

This message was edited Nov 15, 2023 10:31 PM

Thumbnail by AussieGuy Thumbnail by AussieGuy Thumbnail by AussieGuy
San Francisco, CA

Nicely done!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.