Came in the mulch or gift from birds

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

The smaller leaves are rough light a kitty’s tongue. The more mature leaves shown in this pic, are smooth

Thumbnail by vossner

Here is pic of newer, rougher leaves. Pic also shows small yellow flower

Thumbnail by vossner

Closeup of flower

Thumbnail by vossner
Castro Valley, CA

Sure looks like a cucurbit. It is in the family of vining plants that includes cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, watermelons, melons, and gourds summer squash, zucchini, winter squash, mirliton, pumpkin, gourd, cucuzza, cantaloupe, cushaw, and luffa. (I copied from a few sources)

Look behind each flower. If it is a cucumber you will have male and female flowers on the plant. All the female flowers will have a tiny cucumber attached to the back of it. If it gets pollinated by a male flower on the plant, the cucumber will grow bigger. If not the tiny cucumber will die and fall off. The male flowers just have a stem attached to its back.

Keep checking behind the flowers to see what kind of cucurbit fruit/veggi is forming.

Sadly, I am not that experienced to tell you just by looking at pictures at this stage. But someone hopefully will come along who can tell you more.

BTW. Anyway you could add your photos to the original post instead of giving them each their own post? I only ask because it is time consuming to keep opening and closing each post as I examine each of your photos multiple times looking at each characteristic for a hint to its ID.. Thanks

So it must be a cuke. Ironic that this plant is thriving and the one I planted did squat this summer, despite my best care

This message was edited Oct 6, 2023 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by vossner

Very good info. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.