Development on Wild Grape?

Madison Heights, MI

I was cutting out the wild grape along my back fence. City ordinance enforcement seems to want it done about once a year. I have been using the leaves to add flavor and salad to my meat cooking, particularly in the solar oven. However, I have never seen anything like shown in the picture below. I put it in a vase to keep it fresh until I can figure out what it is.

Thumbnail by RussBettridge Thumbnail by RussBettridge
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Look at various crown gall possibilities. Also, use grape leaves for dolma (stuffed grape leaves) and to ferment pickles. I recall seeing information online about brining them to preserve for later uses. I researched that a number of years ago when they became difficult to find and expensive but haven't done it.

Madison Heights, MI

Thanks for the tips. I will do that after church. Thanks also for more ways to use these wonderful plants God provided for us. So many people just think of them as weeds!

Madison Heights, MI

Unlike the pictures shown for Crown Gall, these seem to be similar size and shape. I am starting to wonder if I should try taking a few out and seeing if they have similar physiology. I looked using Google search, and the closest match I found was the Greater Musk-Mallow. However, those seem to be sepals on a flower or something, where these show no separation to speak of on a perhaps 4 sides nodule with a point on the outer end. They seem to be fairly regular in shape and same sized. They also started off the darker larger stem, at about 2-2.5' above the ground, about half the height of the fence they were growing on. I don't know if that sounds like it's close to the ground and therefore close to the source of bacterium. If this is still the best ID we can think of, I could still accept it.

Thumbnail by RussBettridge Thumbnail by RussBettridge
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Have you ever sourced your local extension service? They are usually very helpful. Make sure to connect with an agent as opposed to a volunteer. Another source would be the university.

Had to grin when I saw your location. Grew up in Miami and the very first college I applied to was UM Madison. I had seen snow once. My parents thought I had lost it.

Grape berry development begins after fertilization, when in a process known as fruit set, the ovary changes from a stationary state and experiences an abrupt increase in size that occurs due to cell division and enlargement, leading to rapid pericarp growth

Bretten, Germany

Have you ever cut through a structure like this to see what's inside?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.