Best/Worse/What did I learn today?chat with friends new and old..

Verona, ON

Lovely day here. Nice breeze but rain is on its way.

I read in the TO Star this weekend an article that had me laughing right loud. In an area around Miami there is an abundance of peacocks. The solution the powers to be came up with is to give the male peacocks a vasectomy . So the local trappers are clapping their hands in glee. Apparently forty at a time is the considered number.
After the surgery the peacocks are sent off to a healing facility until they are ready to go back where they came from. I can just see these peacocks being wrestled to the ground - a new age rodeo.

Betty are you with Bell or Rogers TV? Well Bell came today to change out my receivers. One of my TVs is too out of date for the new fangled receiver.

My eyes are bad today - it is like I am looking through a mist.

Happy to read what all of you have been doing.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, not a place I’d want to tent, what ever happened to campgrounds near the lake? Greg and Noah were here earlier to pick up my favourite sewing machine, needs servicing, they were on their was to make sure all ok with their pool and enclosed hot tub then off to the trailer park where they have their trailer, i just don’t understand the concept??

Dianne, sorry you are having problems with your eyesight, do you have appointment soon so your vision can be checked..you had cataract surgery not that long ago didn’t you.

Sharon said when she drove here there was about six drops of rain that fell then the cloud seemed to move away from here.be ready, think Thursday is suppose to be 100 in the shade.

You have me laughing with your peacock story, imagine coming up with such an idea.guess they have to get them to enter a cage.. hope they have a follow up to the story.

I am with Rogers, tempted to move to Bell. Think most of their technology works only on smart tv’s. Will you purchase a new t.v.?

Sharon and her daughter just left, Sharon was in for mammogram so decided she would drop off my goodies she bought for me at Joann’s this past weekend..why would she bring me back $3.62US, should have bought another yard of fabric lol
Now to find a pattern so I sew a throw..she picked great colours that will go well with my new rug..now to find a pattern.

Have a throw bundle to make Grayson a fleece throw

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

The campground I was just at was near a rushing river, but 6 km from the nearest town & WalMart, so 2 of the ladies had to go to WalMart....... ah well, I prefer a campground out in the boonies with no internet, and only emergency cell phone.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you enjoyed camping Susan.
I have flight arrangements for Saturday, but I can get that changed to soon day if needed.
We saw needles highway, Mount Rushmore and crazy horse today. Very impressive.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I guess I was too slow doing the needed repairs on my patio... part of it came down today in the wind! I called a freind for help, we took down the parts that were "partially" down & secured the rest. It's safe for now.
I didn't get much done today. I did get a cover made for the little office chair that will be used in the computer room. The desk is so small that most office chairs wheels are too wide across to slide under. The chair that WOULD fit was so dirty & ugly, I would only consider using it with a cover.
Stanley has discovered he can open the soft close kitchen cabinets. He REALLY likes the pull out drawer under the microwave!

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2

Nice job on the chair cover.
Stanley looks content.

We are in Sturgis South Dakota for the motorcycle rally. My son does tattoos for 3 weeks here.
Yesterday we saw Mount Rushmore, crazy horse and needles highway. Absolutely beautiful up in the mountains.

Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55 Thumbnail by taters55
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My campsite, with the hammock set up between trees. Until it was set up properly, I ended up sitting on the ground, it was so low lol Good thing one of the other campers was helping me & helped me to get up LMAO!!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I forgot to show you my pic of me & Elvis on July 8th!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

That is quite the height difference!! I am glad you got your hammock situation figured out.
My brother and wife are in Sturgis this year. They generally go about every other year. With both of them retiring, maybe it will be more often now. The chair did not turn out quite the way I wanted, but it is much better looking than it's dirty previous self!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon, today was a perfect summer day, not humid and breeze was so nice.

Love the photo’s Lindakay..the year covid made its entrance that was the planned trip we girls were going to do. Had you been there before? Will you be staying the entire 3 weeks with him? Bless him for making sure you are getting out.

Smilling here, Susan he is one tall Elvis, lovely photo..campers help campers, am sure they did not mind helping you set up.

Pat, you are being far too critical.

I called hummingbird fabrics first thing this morning so they would know why Greg was dropping my machine for servicing. Sharon whose husband does the servicing said it takes approximately 2 1/2 weeks.

Pat and June were here this morning, i had already been painting for 2 hours..

I am a smart cookie, bought only 1 gallon of white stain and painted til I ran out..had i had the 3 cans am sure I would still be painting..one coat time ensures I won’t overdo.

Lordy is it white or what, m sure once the weather weathers it, blend in it will..right now i say yikes

Going for a bath then relax.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

I love the steps white!! It won't be quite so blinding with a little time LOL.Plus, as you get the rest painted white, it won't stand out as much.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hoping it grows on me but not too much as I’ve 2 bigger decks in the back lol

I will be flying to Michigan Saturday for 1 week to spend time with my sister. Possibly longer. Depends on how fast she goes downhill.
I have never been here before. It's really pretty.
Pat, tell them to stop by the old school tattoo shop on main street to say hello.

I'll do that Linda! I am not sure how long or EXACTLY when their whole trip will be.

Yeah, I imagine you don't want to have to paint ALL of those big decks now! LOL

My new pink shams, 1 pink throw blanket, oversized mouse pad and new sheets arrived today. I have officially banned myself from further unnecessary purchases. I could argue the mouse pad & sheets were necessary.... but really?? I think I need to give my debit card a rest. OR come up with ways to earn a little extra spending money.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

wow, white steps INDEED! S'funny, I was just reading an article about why in most cases wood should Not be painted white. Betty in my humble opinion, I wouldn't have painted them SO white. I likely would have stained them to be a wood tone cuz the original wood needed some work, of course But then, I like wood. My niece moved into my sister & bil's house when they moved into a senior's apartment & was going to paint ALL the antique furniture. My sister (as was I) was horrified, but then she said it was no longer going to be her furniture, so she could only voice an opinion.

Susan, you don't remember why is should not be painted white? I'd love to know!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hard trip for you to make Lindakay..is she your only sister?
Not sure how Sturgis works, is it pop up businesses or a treat where there are lease spaces?
Where about in Michigan, so long ago that you were visiting your dad that i forgot were about in Michigan.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, overcast but only calling for rain later tonight then bad weather for 3-4 days so guess that leaves painting out of the question..

Evan is coming to finish his garden window with the glass fired in the kiln last week, he is hoping to take it home today. This afternoon young Vanessa who just might finish the last of her memory pillows with grandpa’s shirts.

I might take a run into home depot for another gallon of paint just incase between rain I can do a bit

Yes, my only sister, she is 3 years older than me.
I have 1 brother 2 years younger.
She is in Grand Rapids, Michigan

Sturgis is a lot of pop up tent businesses, and some leased businesses.
I will be flying to Michigan Saturday.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have not done much today. Just to hot. I just didn't have it. I will try to walk Emma at 6, if it is not o hot and I can find shade in the greenbelt. Then I will pick some tomatoes. I have to wait until the sun is over by the mountains before I can venture into the tomato area. The sun, with no clouds is just too blazing hot.

Pat, I check my credit card statement on line and that is when I notice I need to stay off of Amazon. Utilities are taking care of my extra money. Power bill was $547 and water was $438. Some individuals in the neighborhood has $1400 water bills. Some houses in here has 6 to 9 air conditioners. I have 3. I would hate to see what their power bill has gone too.

Is Sturgis a city in Michigan or a company? Sounds like a fish.

I had a visitor and forgot to send this. Emma and I are back fro our walk and I have picked a colander full of grape and cherry tomatoes. My Celebrity tomato plant is putting out yellow/orange tomatoes. Marked wrong.

My front landscape is frying. Some of my ivy in the back is frying. Nothing I can do except cut it back and let it regrow back once it cools down.

Sorry, got to hot picking th tomatoes. I need to get in the shower and cool down. I will drop in tomorrow.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sturgis, South Dakota is a town, where once a year motorcyclists gather and do all sorts of charitable stuff, like gather toys for kids in the hospital. I think it started out as a way to clean up the reputation of good, decent people who ride motorcycles. As a society, they are not the drug-pushing, bullying, drunks that have been portrayed in the movies. Living right above the Dakotas (when I was in Winnipeg), I know a lot of people who would gather once a year there.
LMAO sturgeon - a fish........ yeah sorta sounds like Sturgis

Pat - it's an article I got in email, about painting wood white.
https://www.redesigndaily.com/home-design/white-interior-design-ideas-44589205

My trip to the Botanical gardens is being postponed until Monday. It's supposed to rain heavily, on Thurs (80%). Dianne found out that it's Senior's Day on Tues, so we'll leave after coffeetime on Monday & go to the gardens on Tues. We'll miss Tuesday Social Group, but will be back in time for Crib on Wednesday :)
Originally we were supposed to go on July 6th, but that was Una's Celebration of Life, then rain.......... hopefully we get to go on the 31st! Hurry back in time to go to Power Tuesday at grocery & health food stores in Olds, the 1st Tues of every month. 10 to 15% off stuff is nothing to sneeze at!

Oh my goodness your electric & water bills are horrendous!

Verona, ON

I thought I posted yesterday but I don't see it. Just grumping about the weather. Today's forecast is 98% rain and 100% humidity. It was 76* at 4am.

Chaos sees the vet today for his yearly checkup plus they will sedate him to cut his nails, drain a cyst plus his shots especially Lyme. Years ago a vet tech trimmed in too close and he bled. He has never recovered from the shock. And people say elephants never forget anything.

This will be the first time Zeke has been left alone in the house. Wish I had a camera.

Betty there was a young man on AGT this year who started out as a contestant in Collingwood's Elvis contest. He has moved on and singing his own songs. Drake Milligan is his name. He was from Texas but now lives in Kentucky. How did a kid from Dallas/Fort Worth end up in Collingwood?

LK you'll see lots of characters in Sturgis. We were going to go 1 year when Warren was on his buying a bike kick. That didn't happen so we didn't go. Our friend Frank might be there this year. Some of the vendors make enough money at this event to enjoy the rest of the year just cruising around on their bikes.

Susan there is a gal on FB who joined a group of other women who camp either tent or trailer or somewhere in between.. Great stories to be read.

Better get my shower in. I have to leave early as I always get lost going to the vet's. It's like I have a mental block on how to get there and then home again.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, another hot and humid day..i opened the door for Ziggy to go out and back in he came. It just hits you..this weather feels like New Orleans weather, don’t know how you all survive it. Tomorrow is suppose to be worse…yikes

Sun just came out, we had a light rain all night, sure needed it!

Susan, sorry you have to postpone your trip once again..were you not getting a hotel for the night, do they charge you for it?

Sharon, is that per month?? Wow I certainly couldn’t afford those bills. My ivy is growing crazy this year, guess because of humidity. Glad you are taking things easier in this heat. . Often wonder how all these power plant grids survive in weather like this with all using a/c’s

Dianne, maybe I should ask the vet if there is something I can give Ziggy, he is not a treat person so likely I’d never get him to take it. Ohhh Zeke will be so lonely all by himself, he will either mope or look for things to get himself into mischief. Are you spending any time sitting by the lake? Next week we will be in August and a lot of cottagers will be on their way home. The Collingwood Elvis brought entertainers from all over the world. i remember the miner who spent all those days in the mines trying to support those with him sand Elvis songs..the committee brought him to sing Elvis songs at the finals..he was actually good, i enjoyed that the most and over the years attending gospel breakfast with all the entertainers, guess Collingwood ran out of volunteers and young ones didn’t step in

Another few days and you will be on a journey you don’t really want to take Lindakay?
Do you have hotel accommodations where you are now

Wasn’t feeling well during the night, still not, tummy is giving me the what for..took my bath and wasn’t quite right so empties the tub just incase i was to pass out. Just had hot chocolate and cereal and feel a tad better..

Have the two young girls coming at 9 so best I go unlock basement door.

Betty, we are staying at the house of the man that owns the tattoo shop.
Yes, most people here are only open for the 2 weeks of the motorcycle rally, and they earn enough to get them through the year, and then some. My son makes about 30 to 40 thousand, and he is just 1 of 10 artists in the shop.

I think it would be wonderful to work HARD with LONG hours for just a few weeks and then be able to just cruise along the rest of the year! Linda, how many of those 10 are from out of the area like your son? Does the owner put ALL of them up at his house?

Susan, thanks for the link on the "painting white". I read it and several others on that same site. I love reading on interior design & color. It's been a while since I have done any in depth reading on decluttering and it would probably serve me well to refresh on the subject!

I got my pink shams & put them in place. I only got ONE piece of art up.That stargazer lilly art is one of my favorite pieces and I could not decide where I wanted to hang it since I wanted it EVERYWHERE. It was painted by an artist friend of mine that passed away about 20 years ago. I think I will plan on silk floral arrangements for the wall above both beds. It's a way to get some flowers in & keep them safe from Stanley.

Sharon & I spend all of yesterday shopping for pergolas online. She knows what she wants, she just needs to measure, price & decide. We found a great online company out of PA that is built by the Amish and guaranteed against hurricane winds. .

Thumbnail by psychw2 Thumbnail by psychw2
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sharon - omgoodness! Our water bill is every 2 months. Yours is horrendous, and I hope it's not for 1 month! Even when it's 95F+ I hardly ever turn on my ac. Too worried about the power bill.
Pat - I love looking at diy sites, too - cooking & decorating. Glad you liked it.
Betty - no, I hadn't paid up front for the hotel, so I'll just call & switch the dates.

Bedrooms look awesome Pat.
Every tattoo artist is from out of state. All his regular artist go on vacation for the rally. Yes, he has like 8 bedrooms above the store. Plenty of room for everyone.

Thanks Linda, the bedrooms are coming along.

WOW... I do it find it interesting that the locals leave!! Plenty of foresight when the owner put all those bedrooms above his store. Then again, our city has the hydroplane races. I do NOT attend and if I had my way, I would be out of town too! Years ago this particular event would be a free-for-all with every drunk from across 3 states being here getting sunburned etc. Now, there is a "beer garden" where you can purchase beer and ONLY drinking within that confined area is allowed, ice chests are checked before people are allowed into the area. It's a lot more family-friendly than it was but I still avoid it.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

In Calgary, during the Stampede, a LOT of locals plan their vacation away. Attendees park all over the streets, driveways & lawns. It makes it well near impossible for some residents to drive around, come home or leave to go anywhere.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all
Hot and muggy day here.

Sure can understand locals staying home or leaving for vacation while these events take place. Our Civic long weekend held next weekend has one of the largest vendor gatherings in the area, Barrie is known to have over 200,000 walk the 2 mile shoreline where they are set up.usually it’s has been during our Roadtrip, the Covid time, have to think about wether I will go.

Pat, your rooms look wonderful, sure can see your creative side coming out.

Lindakay, am sure you are anxious Re your trip tomorrow, my and I am sure all are saying prayers for both you and your sister.

Dianne, how did Zeke make out today?

Sure was a bad day yesterday and last night, whatever I had lasted all day but I woke up feeling ok

Was up early, measured the front landing as 2 of the 4 planks needed repairing, before i knew it i had measurements for an entire new one, while at Home Depot bought 2 more gallons of white stain…then on for groceries and dollar tree..by the time I put all away it was time to be at the Legion for fish and chips..also got a call from Hummingbird to say my machine was ready, Lordy I was told 2 1/2 weeks, when I asked Sharon (owner) why so quick she said she thought it was one of the Husqvarna machines but as it was a Janome I bought there the guarantee 48 hour servicing so I will have Greg pick it up Tuesday..sooo an expensive day $450..

Spoke to my brother Bernie, if it doesn’t rain Sunday he will come and help me make the platform.

Grayson, Kyle and Destiny enjoying the paddle boat.. Kids have fun..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Thanks Betty, I admit I enjoy the decorating. Marie was complaining that I had not hung her art up yet. It's true... and it will NOT be fun. The bed will not be easy to move, and I sure can't figure out a way to do it any other way. Also, while she wants me to hang it, you can bet she won't agree HOW/where it should be hung! LOL YEARS ago, as a gift /surprise for Marie, I went in & rehung her art. Moved it to appropriate height and arrangement. It looked so much better! Phil had a fit and moved it all back. You can understand why I am not eager to do that again, although he is out of the house and unlikely to return.

The paddle boat looks like LOADS of fun!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Maybe Bernie can make me a platform/step for my shed LOL
Two nights (not in a row, because on the 2nd night it was raining hard) I sprayed foam at the join between the top & sides of my shed step, and the wasps are still there.
I think I'll have to wait until it gets cold & remove the step then. They'll be hibernating, or whatever it is they do, but not active. I can get a new one built in the Spring. In the meantime, I can't get my lawnmower out, or my camping gear IN. Guess my lawn won't get mowed....... Looking shaggy now, but I don't trust that the wasps won't sting me, and I don't want to develop an allergy! My neighbour (retired exterminator) agrees that I should wait until it gets cold and tear up the step.

Oh goodness that SUCKS Susan! The spray I use says to leave it alone for over 24 hours and it will continue to kill the wasps. I wonder if WHERE you are spraying is too far from the actual nest? Or too much "room" around it to be affective.

My fear of being stung is part of what has prevented me from just loading this junk of Adam's up and taking it directly to the dump or to HIS driveway. I KNOW there will be nests in that lumber.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, soft rain has started, sure is needed, calling for same the next few days,hope so, want to dig pretty much of all that is in front garden and plant again, not an inch doesn’t have growth, so root bound.

He likely would help you Susan, he missed building homes but his shoulders and back prevents him from doing so. Know when I had trouble with wasps I bought a few faux beehive made from paper and hung them close to where the beehives were and they left their home..don’t like sharing an area.

Pat your yard must be looking mighty spiffy with little garbage around. Can understand why you are not rushing to Marie’s.

Deb, updated puppie photo’s please..old age or maybe just me, wondering if you said they had all been spoken for…. How old will they be when they go to their forever homes.

Dianne, rain in your neck of the woods as well?

Lindakay, safe flight..will be another difficult day for you filled with every emotion there is is..prayers and hugs.

Karen, you are always so busy with family gatherings, and special ones com8mg up

With a change in our weather over next few days Sharon, hooe same in your region and you get reprieve from the heat.

As the day progresses it will be much the same as it is right now so an inside day it will be. Everything is so damp in here, almost wet.

Here is hoping I can get at least 2 of 3 things that are on my list.

,upstairs floor vacuumed and washed. ✅
.Graysons rue bear quilt ✅
.finish the Christmas throw which likely will take about 2 hours ✅
.find a pattern for the throw I’d like to match the living room rug

I’d be thrilled to get some done.
Finishing my coffee and then up and at it.

What are you all up to today

This message was edited Jul 29, 2023 12:17 PM

This message was edited Jul 29, 2023 3:29 PM

Ben's niece, Heather, from Yakima is coming today at noon. She is bringing the new sewing machine that was bought YEARS ago and never used. Thankfully she has the manual. I told her it is likely we will have to take it for service BEFORE it can be used. We'll see. The goal is to give her some sewing skills (she is about 45 YO) and teach her to do some simple alterations. Her weight loss has her scrambling for clothes that fit,, she can't keep up financially with the need for new clothes.

I'm washing old coats of mine to prepare for resell or donate. I need to do more clean up in the sewing room & prepare the computer room with everything Stanley needs. Heather is allergic to cats and the best I can do is to keep them separate and do some extra cleaning.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds as though you will have some family time with Heather although I think trying to do alterations is something that needs a lot of practice but if anyone can teach her I am sure it’s you.

My brother is so allergic to cats, when he knows he is coming here he takes meds, helps, gives him an open window of a couple of hours before he starts having difficulties breathing.. likely reason he doesn’t visit often.

I too must spend time organizing my craft room, makes it harder with all the children who come and do their project. Doing pretty well with my list of to does..likely might get to wash downstairs floors.

Baking chicken Alfredo for supper and made an apple,strawberry, peach pie, my way of using up fruit, mouth watering..

Well off to put in time Re the Christmas panel

Love it when things go according to plan, that goodness the 2 days of my feeling unwell has passed.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - wonderful idea about the faux bee's nests - I've seen them around, and will get some! I'll find out today if I can get some. I wonder where they'll go - hopefully not my neighbour's, because she's deathly allergic.

I have never heard of the faux bee's nests before you mentioned it Betty. I will have to try that. OFF to go look online for sources!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love sewing and I don't mind mending for the kids. BUT I really dislike alterations. And zippers don't like them at any time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.