Damage to 20 year old Viburnum

Princeton, NJ

Help ---assume I should prune off these limbs. First year of damage like this

Thumbnail by johns50 Thumbnail by johns50
Somerville, MA

Can't tell anything from these photos

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Yes - if other branches are leafing out or fully in leaf, and these illustrated stems/branches show no growth, then cut them off. I agree that it is always helpful to show the WHOLE plant first, and then progressively detailed images of where your question lies. Ample description of the plant's environment and/or landscape history help fill in blanks in knowledge for the observers here.

I will say that this is normal behavior for 20 year old shrubs of all persuasions, not just Viburnum species. I recognize this from many different species of Viburnum here at the Valley, including V. dentatum, V. dilatatum, V. nudum, V. plicatum f. tomentosum, and others.

Numerous deciduous shrub species have many dormant buds at their base/crown specifically to sprout and replace existing older stems - whether the old branches get damaged by environmental causes or expire because of advanced age. In landscape management practice, many horticulturists will perform rejuvenation pruning on such species of shrubs so that there are continually a good contingent of younger vigorous stems instead of a greater number of older senescing branches.

Princeton, NJ

Other branches appear healthy and are leafing out. Thank you so much for your response. We have had an "extreme" year of weather here in my part of 6b--including brutal heat all last summer. Ill look into rejuvenation pruning.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Concomitant with rejuvenation pruning should be additional watering and fertilization, to assist the healthy vigorous growth of new stems.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.