Best/Worse/What did I Learn today? Come sit a spell, a place where friends meet & share! All newcomers welcome..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

going to 79F on Sunday - sure feels like Spring, especially with the rain & wind last night. Knocked out my internet provider. I was without internet from 11:30 last night to 8:40 this morning.
Took the baby quilt to Dianne for her g-granddaughter.
Decorated a cake for our bowling wind-up. Got good scores today, just when I didn't need them - not counting towards anything lol 186 the 1st game; 125 the 2nd (ick) and 150 the 3rd game. Really happy with the 1st one, & the 3r one was better than I've been doing.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Susan, Your baby quilt is adorable, beautiful work!! Did you laser print the label? Your cake has me drooling!

Karen, glad to hear that Walt is getting stronger & that takes a load off your mind!

Betty, I am too lazy for pots! In our area where is will reach over 100 several days a year, watering at LEAST once a day is a must and I am just not that dependable. When my SIL Sharon goes out of town, watering all her beautiful pots etc is why she wants me. She knows I won't let her down but boy am I glad when she returns!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, Pat. I used freezer paper & an ink jet printer. I'm sure a laser printer would work as well if not better.
I was very happy one of the bowlers took the balance of the cake home with her. Her neighbour has 4 teenage boys, and I'm sure they'll inhale it lol

INHALE, yes! LOL. Avoiding sweets all week with my son & DIL was difficult! I asked them to keep the nuts and chocolate in their bedroom. The rest of the snack food was not as tempting, but .... my FAVORITE chocolate, YIKES!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well Betty, I have so many pots because it is difficult to grown plants in the ground here. Tree roots go crazy looking for water. They even discover the pots and send roots up the drainage holes in the bottom of the pots. All of my pots are on irrigation. They get watered twice a day 3 times a week. Soon we will be on 5 times a week. Some I have to hand water but I do not have much to do. Miss Emma got groomed today and after I dropped her off I hi three nurseries and Trader Jo's. When I go to Trader Jo's I always use the bag Betty made me and dropped off a few years ago when she was in this area. They always comment how unique and great my bag is. Love the books on the bag you made Pat. And Your quilts are lovely.

Susan, you baby quilt is adorable. And your cake looks divine.

Karen, Walt is doing better and will as time goes by.

I will return. Young man whose is one of the guards has stopped by for his ice cream sandwich and a short visit. He keeps an eye on the ole lady. I am giving him financial lessons.

Good exchange, a friendly visit and giving financial lessons.

Adam & Andrea signed on the house & got keys today. Adam just rented a small uhaul truck. Unfortunately, last I knew he works beginning Sunday. I have not got a chance to talk to him to know if he arranged to get it off. He has PTO owed to him so it would not "cost him" to be off.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Beautiful quilts ladies.
I am in Dallas this weekend with my oldest son. Once a year there is a huge swap meet held in the Texas motor speedway parking lot. They sell anything related to cars, old and new. It is about 2 miles long, and about 3 city blocks wide. If anyone needs car parts, you can probably find it there. We leave for home Sunday morning.
I have never been to Dallas. It is a huge busy city.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, raining out,

I have had a lot doing, not even sure I posted yesterday so thought while I have my coffee i would come say hello.

Thank you Lord, our Pat will soon have her home back, hope they leave it in a condition that you won’t have to put mega effort in getting it back to the way you want. Congratulations to them on first home ownership.
I lobe the quilts Pat, black/grey/white quilt are always my favorite, love the blackest block one.hard piecing? Don’t know why I keep asking about the quilts as I’m not certain I will get to another big sigh

I’m so glad I got to go to Dallas on my trip through Texas, not only for spending that day at the restaurant we all had so many laughs at Lindakay but also visiting Dallas ranch and stood where president Kennedy was shot..that museum is spectacular..wish you could go visit for a few hours. Bet you feel a little rested and feeling a tad stronger.. you know it would be a short trip to my neck of the woods, i could show you many things in around here..think about it please.

Sharon, think the young gates man is getting quite a deal. I’ve been gathering last years pots with soil in them, i will use the barrel to hold all the soil in them then will add a few bags to enrich it then start plant so at some point I can try and make planters. I must be behind the times, don’t remember hearing that irrigation goes through the pots. Hmmm

Got the side garden tilled yesterday and have 2 bags of cow manure to work in, by end of May should be able to plant it.

Oh Susan,i your quilts are lovely, you will make someone happy, and look at that cake. Yummy, yummy. Do you by any chance use the spray adhesive when layering your quilt together, certainly helps in the process.

Drats just looked at the time, Mason and Evan will be here shortly
I haven’t even taken a sip of coffee.

The next few days will be more than hectic. I have classes today til 3, then to town I must go, when I get back I have to burn out areas of the stencils for kids project tomorrow. Then have to put all the machine away so that i can arrange the tables for tomorrow. That will fill today

Tomorrow morning recheck Ihave all in order then 15 kids in the morning and 15 in the evening..

How is it going everyone, want to stay and chat to others but then I will be late..will try to find time to come back

Not sure which quilt block you mean Betty, the only pieced block is the one with black 2 inch frame around 8 inch to make 12 inch feature block. If you mean the black background with HUGE flower & butterfly, nope, it's printed.

The quilt is put together in sections & then put it together. The sections are very unequal in size. In order to "make it work", I laid it out on the floor. "Marked" each section with a number and with black 2.5 strips to use as frames & took pictures of each section. I took up one section at a time and consulted the pictures to construct. I really love the way it turned out and look forward to doing another one in a different colorway. I will have to lock Stanley OUT of the room when trying to lay it out & sew.

Linda, that car show sounds like a dream come true to old car enthusiasts! My Dad & brothers would have LOVED it!!

Off to help with the packing up at friends, Lynn & then BIL's brother' Paul's home. A&A would not want my help anyway, no problem there! I also hope the mess they leave behind will not be overwhelming. I likely will hire some professional cleaners to come in as I could not accomplish it myself in a timely manner. Even the light bulbs in all the fixtures are dusty, I don't want to think about the fans!

Thumbnail by psychw2
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ewwwww packing - HATE it! With a passion. I lost track at over 60 moves (yes, 60)
That quilt is so striking - love it!
Betty, yes, I use spray adhesive & safety pins, and a large embroidery hoop. Dianne's thrilled with the quilt, and is hoping to give it to the parents today.
I SLEPT! Went to bed at 1:00am, Dianne phoned me at 8:30, I went back to sleep, and woke up at 12:30pm! Guess I needed it. Many long nights until 4am, etc, quilting. I now am finishing a quilt for the June 17 vendor's market here in town. It'll be done this week & then I'm going to make some cute hats to put in.
LK - I would love to visit Texas - have online friends there I've never met. Glad you're with your son.
I'm been out to look at the garden, but not done anything. Still thinking about Thursday the 4th.....
Now, it's time to eat breakfast......

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Is no one posting here?

I am here.
Betty, please don't over do with the classes.

SIXTY moves??? HOLY COW, you must be VERY proficient at it with all that practice!

Susan, THAT is a lot of sleep, and I will bet it felt heavenly! Thanks, I do like the "Perfect 10", the 2nd one is "OK" but I am looking forward to making "Perfect 10" again some day. I imagine once the "neighbors" are out of the other side, my sewing days will be limited. There will be way too much stuff to do.

Dana & Carrie asked if they could come for a visit June 15 thru 19. He was afraid I would feel too much pressure to have everything done by then. It will be so nice to have company again. I have not had a visitor overnight in 2 years due to the house situation.

I have a sincere question I would like to ask. I don't want to give too much information and bias your answers. If 3 people share equally in the "benefit" but NOT equally in the "work that needs to be done", does the non-working member get an equal "vote" on how things are best handled??

Not in my opinion. Family or friend. If they want the rewards, they each need to put in the same amount of work.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Brrr I am freezing, can’t feel my fingers
Won’t be long long, been in bed all day, woke up soaking wet, sore throat
Just getting up for eats and back in bed

I agree with Lindakay.

Off to put my hands in warm water
Be back later

Verona, ON

I can't say it enough NO, no no

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Agree, Pat....NOPE

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I guess we all agree - equal work gets equal say. There should be no inequality!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning

Sure hope my cold clears up by thursday as they called this morning to say i have surgery thursday, will call this afternoon to go through details. Not a big operation just belly button hernia

I hope the cold goes away QUICKLY and you get some pain relief with your surgery.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Actually the naval hernia gives me no pain, they just want to take it out as a precaution.next hoping it will be the hiatus hernia which causes me trouble when eating.

BUT nobody seems to be looking at my shoulder and hip which is causing mega pain.

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well Betty.
Praying for a speedy recovery.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Called mom, she fell a few stairs last night, said she was ok, Brian took her upstairs but it’s been really paining but no swelling so Bertie mom’s Neighbour is dressing her then Brian will rake her to hospital, that or they will call 911.

Had my 1:30 call and answered all questions..if they do let me out same day I have to have someone sleep here, that is a nuisance, rather spend a night

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Finished both baby quilt tops. With a whole 4 days to spare. They are exactly the same size. One is light denim the other color is called light taupe, Looks more a greyish green to me.

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma
Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Finished both baby quilt tops. With a whole 4 days to spare. They are exactly the same size. One is light denim the other color is called light taupe, Looks more a greyish green to me.
https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fr.php#

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma

Might be easier to spend the night in the hospital Betty.
Karen, those are so cute.

Victoria Harbour, ON

They are adorable, barely a difference in them, great job, now you can sit and admire them, what keepsakes. You didn’t overdo right? How is Walt?

Mom has a good sprain, going to put a boot on her foot

They don’t keep you in unless something were to go wrong.

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Walt has to have fluid drained from his lungs. Hope it's only once. They will call us with date. It's what is keeping him dependant on oxygen.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well I am progress of a major clean up. My garden helper quit and then tried to come back. I said "No, let's give it a few weeks". I actually have been gardening abut 5 hours a day and having a blast. He has been my helper for since 2009 and it thinks he owns the place. So I ask him to do something and he argues with me. So now if I want to do something, I just do it and not have him tell me I am putting something in the wrong place. He quit because we got in a disagreement over irrigation in the courtyard. He got his feeling hurt and wrote me a text that evening and quit. Next Monday he said he was ready to come back and I said, I pass. It has been two weeks.

Pat, why would the individual think they were entitled to a fair share if the other two are doing all of the work. But I would clarify it before any work started. And I would get it in writing.

Karen, quilts are adorable. Walt will keep getting stronger and eat this big time. I have had friend's get fluid out of their lungs and they said it was easy. So I am praying for Walt's easy time with the liquid removal.

Betty, I was concerned you were doing to much with 15 students and another afternoon with 15 students. Please take care of yourself. You are the glue that holds us all together. Sorry about your mom. Staying over night in a hospital, I feel, is the pits. Would your insurance pay for a medical care giver to spend the night. Here in Las Vegas it would cost $25 per hour so $600 for the day. It has probably gone up since kids in hamburger joints now get $18 a hour.

Susan, how in the world did you move over 60 times? I have moved to 5 different cities in my lifetime. I have moved places I have lived in 9 times. Last 40 years, 2 houses. But I am like a tree. I just plant myself, grow roots and stay.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Sharon, my 1st husband (Steve, 23 years) was truck driver, and always had itchy feet. Sometimes we only lived somewhere 6 months to a year and he got dissatisfied about Something, so we Had to move. I made the choice to move twice. Once to move back to Winnipeg when his job didn't pan out in Northern Alberta (back to where my parents lived) and once when a maintenance man at the apartment we lived in wouldn't let our 10 yo son into the building because "your name isn't on the lease". Yes, the man was drunk We moved within the week, not far (in the same neighbourhood, same school). It was hard on the kids & I, losing friends, and different schools.
Two more sleeps, then off to the trial on Thurs. I'm not as worried as I thought I would be - trying to get all my "ducks in a row", and I'll just tell the truth. I can't do anything But tell the truth. Not in my nature to lie. I'll let you know how it goes. Supposed to start at 9am, but have been told to clear my day in case it takes longer than expected.

Betty - DO take care, and don't overdo.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Karen, isn’t that painful, can’t quite remember procedure when Roger andDad had it..
Here hoping it’s only once.

Feel I’m back in the land of the living, forcing myself to do anything done that requires lifting today as the minor surgery for naval hernia is tomorrow, I must be at hospital at 8:30a.m. Hope it’s not one of those things you have to wait all day for my turn as I can’t eat anything after midnight, she even mentioned walking my dentures and wipe the water off so best I fill myself tonight.

Sharon, are you teaching him a lesson? Will he eventually message you again? Maybe you only need him for the months that has the heaviest work loads..
You put in quite a day if you are working 5 hours a day.

That is indeed a lot of moving Susan, know i couldn’t do it..

Falling asleep so nap time

Susan, THAT moving & at him whim would have driven me NUTS!!! That was certainly not fair to you or the kids.

Sharon, Yep, been there, done that!! Only it was an older office worker, the ONLY employee that told my husband (my EX, he was a chiropractor), "her way or she would quit". I told my Ex to fire her & I would get new help hired and trained. We did.

Betty, hospitals are increasingly stingy with their resources. I know it's a pain but having a friend spend one night shouldn't be THAT bad. Or maybe your DIL?

Karen, I did not realize Walt was still on oxygen. I guess I missed that! Your quilts are so cute, what a treasure!

Linda, I hope things are leveling out and you are finding peace & comfort at your son's.

I should have been more clear but really did not want to spell out too much for fear of influencing your opinion. The 1/3 is dictated by the will and that can't be changed. My concern is who makes the decisions regarding how the possessions will be sold/ handled. I am sure all of you know the work of clearing out a loved ones home. Paul was never married, no kids etc so his elderly brothers/wives are having to deal with this. One brother does not live locally and is the ONLY brother well enough to be any physical help. When he leaves Sunday, ALL the physical work will fall to 2 women already dealing with sick husband's that need care. Neither woman is a spring chicken either!

The brother leaving has been rather opinionated about how things get done. That is fine & dandy but he won't be around to do the work. I am suggesting that since he is NOT doing the work, he doesn't get to make the decisions how things are handled. I am ONLY involved because it includes my sister Marie & her husband and I trying to help get this mess cleaned up and gone to relieve the family stress. I do NOT benefit in any way, physically or financially.

Marie is down sick and Phil's care meeting has been postponed. Now I only have to be concerned about helping her get her car back from repairs when it's ready. Yesterday we stopped at 2 nurseries, and she FILLED my car with flowers. I planted and weeded for hours. I was exhausted! Still not done and we will need to get more flowers to finish. NOT today, that is for sure!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

The procedure Walt needs is not painful, They numb the area. I was with my dad while he got it done and he didn't feel a thing. I just wish that they would realize how badly he needs this done. The nurse was very Oh well about the whole thing.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My prayers will be with you, Betty - minor or not, sitting waiting in the Dr's waiting room is awful. One of my worst things is waiting for a Dr, only to see the Dr for 5 min. Used to be that people talked to each other while waiting, but since the past 2 years, no one does - they all sit at least 5 seats away. I've taken knitting with me when I go, sometimes.
Pat - doncha just LOVE opinionated, not-taking-part type of people. "I have to tell you thoroughly how to do things, cuz I won't be here to supervise!! Be sure you do it my way, or feel my wrath" LMAO yeah........ riiiiiiiiight (NOT!) If he's going to put his oar in, tell him to paddle!
Today I finished quilting another lap quilt for our sale, this afternoon it's crib at our senior's centre, and tonight it's the Wimborne Fish & Game meeting (7pm). I've invited Dianne to dinner as she'l be at both, and we're both single (she's a widow) and it's just nice to eat dinner with someone. We may as well go together as we'll be at both. No point her driving home to her farm when she can just as easily stay in town with me & then go to the meeting.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone! I just re-subscribed, and I was not even a member for a few years after Dave gave up the reins. I haven't lived in the woods for many years, but I guess it doesn't matter that I can't change my username, lol. We sold my parents' home on 25 acres of woods, and I hated to have to do that. We spent the proceeds on a nursing home. Dad was there for about six years, and passed a year ago January from Parkinson's. It was horrible to watch him decline. His last five months were spent sharing the room with Mom, and she is still there. She will be 89 tomorrow. She is diabetic, on insulin, barely eats, hates the taste of food (even food we've brought her). She lives on Ensure, protein bars and sugar free pudding. Not good.

I miss the fellowship, so I decided to chime in here. I see some familiar names, which is nice! I haven't gone back to read and catch up, but I will now. Good to be back!

This message was edited May 3, 2023 2:42 PM

I recognize your subscriber name, welcome back KyWoods!!!

Susan, YOU nailed exactly how I have been feeling. If you aren't paddling, get the heck out of boat and shut up! LOL I am happy to hear you are teaming up to go with a friend. I have promised another single friend that I would find out when the Hanford area's tour guide is next scheduled. She is MUCH more interested in history than I am, but this is something I can do for her. NOW, if this was the tours regarding wild horse herds, THAT would excite me!

Still no call regarding Marie's car.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the Welcome back! I used to live in an apt. building where I got to take care of the garden, but the owners decided to get greedy and boot out the senior citizens and double the rent! I moved to a seniors-only apartment complex, and I have a small raised bed where I grew strawberries, lettuce and green beans last year. This year I will plant tomatoes....if winter ever decides to finally leave!

Linda Kay, I'm so sorry to learn of the loss of your husband.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

WB to you, KyWoods! I recognize your name, too! Been quite awhile, eh?

Betty - has your account been cloned or hacked? I just got a friend request from "you" on FB

Welcome back to the group Kywood.
Thank you. It's been 3 weeks. Some days are harder than others, but I am managing. Glad I made the decision to move to Amarillo to live with my son. They have been a lot of support.
Betty, keeping you in our prayers fir your surgery tomorrow. Post an update when you can.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Welcome welcome KyWoods, you”ve taken a chair amongst wonderful/ kind women

Hugs, hard losing a parent, it’s 20 years today my father passed and I so miss him. Difficult am sure watching your mom slowly lose ground. Glad you have a place where you can put your hands in the soil.again welcome.

Susan yes, I’ve been hacked again, don’t know what pleasure they get out of it..I’ve learned to press on the 3 dots and report it when i confirm with an already ‘friend’

Yes, surgery tomorrow if they find no fever..will be my 4th day so hoping… not sure why I am getting it done anyway..

Lindakay, my heart is with you, difficult time.. glad you made the decision to live with your son. I should know this, is he married, grands you can visit with..you will miss your sewing group friends..perhaps later you can seek a sewing group in your area as I know you enjoyed your outings.

That time of night, will grab some ice cream and juice, nothing after midnight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.