SOLVED: Unknown tuber

Calabash, NC

As I was digging up an old rose bush, I found these tubers. I don't know what they could be. Ideas?

Thumbnail by Frecs7 Thumbnail by Frecs7
Castro Valley, CA

The only tuber I came into contact with in my garden were 4 O'clocks, Mirabilis jalapa. Did you see any of those around your rose bush?

If I recall correctly, my tubers had a long tail. The tubers themselves were deep. It took a lot to try to dig them out. When I first came across them, I had no idea they were from a handful of 4 O'Clock seeds I had thrown out in my garden, an act I so regret to this day.

They just took over. If I even left a tiny piece in the ground from a tuber they regrew. They got huge too! I think they loved all the rose food and extras I added to my soil for my roses.

Calabash, NC

No, I have never seen 4 o'clocks around the rose bush. There were some daffodils in the area but these tubers were wrapped in the rose roots and the daffs weren't that close.

Calabash, NC

I have found that the tuber is a smilax. There were smilax vines on a tree nearby. I am surprised it hadn't covered the rosebush!

Calabash, NC

I have found that the tuber is a smilax. There were smilax vines on a tree nearby. I am surprised it hadn't covered the rosebush!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.