Should this peach limb be removed?

Augusta, GA

I have a vigorous Belle of Georgia peach tree with a great shape, but last summer one of the branches began to crack under the weight of the fruit. By supporting it with a lumber prop, I was able to carry the fruit on that limb to maturity.

As you can see in the pictures (from each side of the limb), the area where it began to fail could remain weaker or offer a point of entry to possible pests. I considered removing the limb just below the crack, but other than the pictured scars, the limb looked healthy all the way to dormancy so I kept putting it off.

The tree is 15 feet tall and wide. The limb is about 3 inches in diameter where it is cracked and the crack is about 10 inches long. It oozes a bit of sap when the weather turns warm or after heavy rain, but otherwise things look okay and the tree seems fully healthy.

I have several other scaffold branches on this tree, so losing this limb wouldn't be a major setback -- I'll still get plenty of fruit. On the other hand, I love a big harvest and if there's little risk leaving it intact (with support as needed), I'm very happy to leave it alone (or treat it in some way if preferable).

Have any of you had experience with such an injury? If you left it intact, did it cause any problems down the road?

Thanks very much for reading!

Thumbnail by NV Thumbnail by NV
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Belle of Georgia is such a nice peach. I would leave the limb but seriously thin the next fruit set and see what happens. It used to be common practice to seal all tree wounds. Nowadays some suggest self-healing us best. This can take several years since trees heal from the edges inward. If sapping and insect entry is a concern maybe try taping with tree or electrical tape. I've done that successfully.

Augusta, GA

Thanks MaypopLaurel. That sounds like a good approach. And you're sure right... the peaches from that tree are fabulous!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I inherited a number of peach trees with my N. GA property which had been abandoned for several years. While I have no idea what variety they are, they are all white fleshed with small fruit. Probably seed grown. I have since planted a Hale's Haven which is delicious. Peaches have been the easiest fruits to grow as mine are not grafted. Belle of Georgia comes both as rooted cuttings from seed or grafted. I prefer seed trees or cuttings over grafted fruit because deer are problematic in my area. They girdle the trees. They have destroyed grafted apples and pears down to the root stock but seed/cuttings grown peaches always come back and start producing a few years later.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.