I am so lost and frustrated - advice please?

Harvard, IL

Hello, I have been working on plans to add a 11x11 patch to my garden for cut flowers for personal use. I buy a small bouquet every week or two and I am able to cut some of my flowers out of my landscaping pots and planters but would really like to branch out and grow some new things. Part of writing out my
Plan is to creating a calendar with start dates and instructions for preparing or maintaining these flowers. However, the problem is, nowhere can seem to agree on how to grow whatever flower I am looking up. I always search for the specific name and type and make sure it says my zone in the instructions. I try to stick to garden/nursery websites, the almanac, some of the packages(some I cannot purchase yet) but do check blogs from time to time, however no one can agree and they aren’t Just subtle differences. This garden site says my zone is too cold to grow, this website says to start in fall and this is a perineal, another website says spring and it’s an annual, this one says blooms in spring, this one says mid to late summer. Again, I am always making sure it’s talking about my specific zone, the specific type and name, when I’d plant etc. why is this? Or better yet, is there a place you could suggest that is the “go too” for this info? The Bible of flower growing?

I am way out in the country so I don’t really have a nursery to go to to ask and it seems they don’t carry a very wide variety.

I have been going back and forth for 2 weeks trying to research and get this info and it’s Just all over the map.

I would be so grateful if anyone was kind enough to share with me.

Thank you
Salina

Bellevue, NE

Hi Salina
My name is Lisa and I live in east central Nebraska in zone 5b. Do you like baby's breath and roses? How about zinnia's and sun flowers? Black eyed susans and bachelor buttons? Tithonia and ladies mantle? Penstemon and money plant? Tulips and daffodils? Catmint and sage? Daises and peonies? Dianthus and cone flower?
All these plants will grow in your area. Experiment a little, try something new every year. Put a packet of cut flower seeds in the ground and see what comes up. If you like something, plant it and see how it grows. Send for some plant catalogs. Most of all enjoy your garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.