help with gaht heating

East Longmeadow, MA

Hi. I apologize in advance for the length of this question. I am hand digging an 8 x 14 foot greenhouse, and yes I know I could rent equipment, but I tend to like to take the difficult way. Besides, it is like going to the gym for free. my plan was to go about 40" then trench the system to 48 inches. 20 inches down I hit wet sand (easy digging) and by 32 inches it was almost as dry as the beach. I have read that dry sand is not a good storage for heat and I am thinking I should abandon my 40" plan and put the system in at 36"? Does anyone know if this will be effective? I am also putting 4 55 gal water barrels at the north side, which is an existing wall that has R14 insulation in it. I dont have room for more 55 gallon drums, but plan to put my beds up on granite stones for more mass and I am thinking it Will help if I bury large rocks or water jugs along the system at the 30" deep level to collect some of the geothermal heat produced? Is this something that will help or hurt my geothermal plans? I have been reading everything I can find and no where have I seen anyone burying rocks or water jugs.
This is my first ever attempt. Not sure what to do from here. My gh is facing south, the interior north wall will have silver backed foam insulation to increase the sun during the short winter days and all of the glass will be removable to become a raised bed, open air, garden from May to late September. TIA
P.S. I do have my daughter and son in law helping to dig.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2022 7:56 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.