Plants similar to Euphorbia tirucalli (fire stick)

I have a plant that looks like Euphorbia tirucalli and I want to know if there are similar looking plants. I ask because I see there is a chance that some amount may suppress the immune system and I don't have a painful reaction that is described to result from the plant's sap despite sap getting onto my arms many times so I'm kind of needing a confirmation on what I'm dealing with. Maybe the most I'll feel is a little coldness kind of sting, but it's nothing painful, though I don't know if that's placebo. Whenever I work near it trying to get weeds behind it I usually break a few branches get maybe 1 - 3 drops on my arm, sometimes I wipe it off. Looking forward for answers.

Castro Valley, CA

It might be easiest if you take your plant's photo and post it for ID. If yours has the orangey coloration, I think Euphorbia tirucalli is the only one that colors up like that.

Does your plant have that milky sap come out when you break off a piece?  That is whitish latex sap which can cause bad skin reactions and even eye reactions if you get it in your eyes.  How toxic it is, depends on the genus of Euphorbias. 

The only other one that comes to mind is also a Euohorbia- Euphorbia mauritanica but I have no idea how toxic this one is. I think the branches are thicker than Euphorbia tirucalli from what I remember and they stay green.

Not sure about plants outside of euphorbias. I suppose there must be some. Rhipsalis have a similar look but I do not know of any are upright. If you squint, maybe some of the Senecios. I guess even euphorbias like Euphorbia inermis or other medusaeform euphorbias kind of look like Euphorbia tirucalli, a small one.

I did find an article written by our former in house cactus, succulent and palms expert, Palmbob.  It has so many more Euphorbias described that are also considered pencil or stick euphorbias that I never knew existed. https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2957

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.