What’s eating my petunias?

Schenectady, NY

This is the first year I’ve had any issues. First what ever was eating them started in my front yard in a bed, now has moved to ground planters in my back yard , and most recently a low hanging basket next to a chair. I don’t think it’s bugs, but I do have plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and birds in the area.

Any help as to what it could be and an easy solution to prevent would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by JasonA Thumbnail by JasonA
Castro Valley, CA

How much is gone? I would think if it were a deer or rabbit they would be about gone. Clean cuts might indicate a bigger pest like rabbits/deer/etc.

Snails and slugs love them too. But they leave their slime trail that you would see.

The only thing that ever ate mine were caterpillars. They would do the flowers and the leaves. Mostly, parts of the petunia were just gone though sometimes holes would be the telltale sign esp. on the flowers. I would look on the undersides and I would find little brown poop dots as well as those little green inch worms which can be hard to see. They would just appear 1 day.

Go out at night with a flashlight, I think they are night eaters.

If it is caterpillars, get Bt. (Bacillus thuringiensis is a naturally occurring bacteria known as Bt.). I think I sprayed maybe twice and they would be gone.

I did google it. This might be helpful. https://plantophiles.com/gardening/what-is-eating-my-petunias/#:~:text=Petunias%20are%20a%20tasty%20treat,early%20wilt%20and%20eventual%20death.

Schenectady, NY

Quote from ZilyZily :
How much is gone? I would think if it were a deer or rabbit they would be about gone. Clean cuts might indicate a bigger pest like rabbits/deer/etc.

Snails and slugs love them too. But they leave their slime trail that you would see.

The only thing that ever ate mine were caterpillars. They would do the flowers and the leaves. Mostly, parts of the petunia were just gone though sometimes holes would be the telltale sign esp. on the flowers. I would look on the undersides and I would find little brown poop dots as well as those little green inch worms which can be hard to see. They would just appear 1 day.

Go out at night with a flashlight, I think they are night eaters.

If it is caterpillars, get Bt. (Bacillus thuringiensis is a naturally occurring bacteria known as Bt.). I think I sprayed maybe twice and they would be gone.

I did google it. This might be helpful. https://plantophiles.com/gardening/what-is-eating-my-petunias/#:~:text=Petunias%20are%20a%20tasty%20treat,early%20wilt%20and%20eventual%20death.

I’m almost positive it’s not bugs or insects of any kind. It happens over night, but it will happen to 1 plant 1 night, another plant a second night. Only the outer/lower lying stems get eaten as per my picture. A good amount gets eaten off, suggesting a rabbit or squirrel on its hind legs. I also have wood chucks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.