sweet potato PLANTS

Kensington, NY

Has this happened to anyone else? I got sweet potato slips in the mail, about 25, and not one sprouted leaves. They look dead. I am getting a refund, but what I wanted was to buy plants - not so much slips but starts.
Does anyone know how to buy them?
I was trying to grow Georgia Jets, because they grow fast, but anything that can take Brooklyn NY clay tending basic PH soil will do.
As long as they are plants. I modify the soil around the plants heavily, anyhow.
Anyone know?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've not grown sweet potatoes in several years but have grown Georgia Jet. 90 days is really under optimal conditions so you might be running late now. Maybe send Farmerdill a DM for advice as he might not visit this forum. He is the expert on this topic.

I don't know what you mean by "starts". A slip is a rooted vine with leaves that has been propagated from a mature potato. They are shipped bare root. I soak slips in diluted fertilizer to rehydrate the roots before planting. I've never seen potted sweet potato plants for sale. We can buy slips at seed and feed/farm supply stores. Sometimes Home Depot or Lowes carries slips down here. It's easy to start your own.

Kensington, NY

Thanks so much for writing back!
Really I meant plants with a more developed root, if I could not get plants, it seems the slips did not have enough..something...to get going, and I just do not know what that something is, so I can't provide it. So I was thinking about plants.
We had an early warm up and I did not have my slips yet, then a little cool down, then warm- hot ever since, rain. This is going to be a La Nina year hence lots of rain from storms up the East Coast, but often we have high temps all through September into early October, rain or not.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.