New garden, new gardener

Diamond Bar, CA

Hi friends! I'm a new gardener; I have propagated a couple of easy plants (succulents, purple heart, grocery store potatoes and celery) and I have a (small) container vegetable garden. I am very inexperienced when it comes to putting things in the ground and growing from there.

Very soon I'm going to be long-term renting from a family member who says I have free run of the yard. It's a quarter acre property, about half of which is plantable (there's a lot of poured concrete and a long back yard).

I know it's probably too late in the season to get anything new started, but I am looking for some advice on what to do to get the yard ready to be a garden in the spring. I want to primarily plant vegetables and buffer plants but I would love some fruit trees - this is part of southern California that used to be an orchard and there are still citrus trees all around the neighborhood.

At the moment the yard is a lot of weeds and some pretty poor soil with no sprinkler system in an area in the middle of a drought. I've got ample room for composting, a few fire ant mounds, not a lot of shade, and (so far) a good attitude.

Can I get some tips on what I can do to enrich soil, get rid of weeds, deal with fire ants (Are they secretly beneficial as pollinators or something? Do they eat worse pests? Should I tolerate them? Should I eradicate them?) and generally prepare a big space for next spring?

Thank you so much!

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!