completely flat borders for flower beds

Lombard, IL

I am experimenting with creating borders between my lawn and my flower beds so that I can drive a riding lawn mower over it. That way I would not have to edge so much. I had some old roofing shingles that did the trick -- they're wide enough to keep the grass at bay and flat enough that the mower goes right over it. However, they're ugly, it's probably too expensive to do the whole yard that way and I'm not sure it's good for the soil. I tried big paver bricks, but they don't lie flat. Do you have any better ideas? Thank you!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Consider landscape fabric, also called weed block, with a mulch on top. A 50' x 3' wide roll is under $15 and can be easily split for edging to yield 100'. I put it down years ago on the main walkways of my garden and it's still going strong. It's topped off with leaf mulch on the outside path and new cypress mulch for the inside walks each year. The mower goes over it without disturbing the mulch. I've seen river rock used as edging to top fabric but that would be more expensive. Looks good though.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.