Help preserve genes of a vandalized butternut tree

Lake Lynn, PA(Zone 6a)

I am offering nuts collected last fall from a rare butternut tree that has now been deliberately killed by girdling with a chainsaw. If you have room to grow a couple of these (2 needed for pollination) and want to help preserve the genetics of this tree, please see my "trades" listing for more information.

Thumbnail by sheepwrecked
Marshall, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm interested in collecting more J. cinerea germplasm (already have a few seedlings from the one tree I've ever found, but would like to have more in hopes of crossing some resistant trees). Could you DM me your address please :)

It may also interest you (and those with limited space) to know that butternut is actually monoecious and self-fertile like other Juglans species - a lone tree will still produce nuts!

New York City, NY

The destruction of the butternut tree saddens me. It is tragic when vandalism has a negative impact on the environment, but it is unacceptable regardless. I really do wish the tree could be revived and its genetic makeup protected. Tissue culture and seed banking are two alternatives to replanting that could be used to preserve the tree's genetics. If you care about the tree's genetics, I recommend looking into these techniques.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.