Taking over a garden at new home

Mosinee, WI

We recently purchased a home with about 4 acres of land in Central Wisconsin. I've always thought about gardening, but now we have the space including an existing garden. I'm a little overwhelmed, as the existing garden is very large. There are two beds that are fenced in; one is 60' by 11' and the other is 60' by 20'. There is already asparagus, blueberries and Jerusalem artichoke in the garden.

I'm a believer in starting small, but I don't really have to much of a choice in this case! My plan is add a few more vegetables to the perennials (peas, carrots, cucumbers), and then to try to either grow or block off areas that I'm not ready to use this year. The possible ideas I have are listed below. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
1) Cardboard laid over sections of the garden I'm not using to prevent weeds
2) Cover crops grown in sections of the garden I'm not using (I'm assuming would take multiple plantings throughout the spring/summer/fall)
3) A combination of the above and planting pumpkins and watermelon that take up a lot of space; this isn't really a long term goal, but the kids would like it for now

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.