Winter Sowing Question

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I want to try winter sowing some perennials this year. Is it essential that the jugs be exposed to sunlight in the initial months of the winter? I live in a condo community and I don't think leaving jugs outside would be appreciated for a 4-6 month period. Would germination rates be affected if the jugs got exposure to sun beginning in March/April?

Thanks for your help.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

That would be spring/ssssummer sowing even if it feels like winter to you. The idea of winter swowing is that seeds sprout naturally as temperatures allow. They can't get far without sunlight. No, it won't affect germination but the seed will plotz without strong light. I start vegetables for summer in March and April.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reply.

I want to start the jugs at the end of December/beginning of January but keep them outside on my porch. Unfortunately, the porch gets almost no sun. As long as they're subjected to the winter chill would that be OK? I would move them to a more sunny spot in a common area as Spring arrives. Or, would being in the dark for the initial 3 or so months adversely affect germination rates?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Not like Marietta has a deep cold area unless unexpectedly, BUT, depends on the seeds you want to sow. Seeds are season and weather smart, and take their cues from also how many sun hours they get. Here in Houston area I have seeds sprouting now-and that included volunteer tomatoes. Your daylight areas are going to be getting less and less sunshine as the winter equinox approaches- I would wait until Jan to start them as you won't be getting any long term snow cover as folks in Indiana and north. They could actually rot to be sown outdoors so early in a gallon jug. When they do sprout, they should grow astronomically where you are. Places like Michigan have very short summers with long term cold and their summers are riots of blooms very fast and thick when winter releases its cold. Or you could get false starts that die with unexpected cold snaps in Marietta. Better to sow after the winter equinox (Christmas) and the sun grows longer, but again, it depends on the seeds you want to grow.
Meant to add Maypop has awesome gardens in that area, but winter sowing would be the seeds that fell to ground in summers end and left to volunteer for Spring.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2021 5:45 PM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Kit!

As stated above, plants do not need light to germinate but they will be weak and disease prone when grown in poor light compounded with poor air circulation. Air movement encourages strong plant stems.

David, you are nextdoor to me. I am in Sandy Springs. I could share plants and seeds though I don't grow a lot of flowers anymore.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.