Cucumber Plant Dying What should I do

New York City, NY

Hi, I am picking fresh and ripe cucumbers from my own garden. After the heavy rain my plant is drooping and dying. Its heartbreaking to watch my beloved cucumber plant dying. Its my first time to take care of plants but unfortunately my plants look that its dying. My question is for gardeners please guide me how to save dying cucumber plants Any pro gardener please give some tips so I can saved my cucumber plants. thanks

This message was edited Oct 15, 2021 12:42 PM

Peoria, AZ

Does anyone know why my first true leaves look brown on the edged and middle of leaf? I believe I may be overwatering because my other cucumber true leaves aren't brown they're just yellowing. I care the same for all of them. They're in all purpose potting soil In well drained plastic water bottle bottoms. Thank you!

Thumbnail by Rrey2639
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Firstly, these are cotyledon leaves not true leaves. All purpose potting soil is not an appropriate seed starter. It is too course and often composed of a high amount of deteriorating bark mulch with perlite and fertilizer added. I see no perlite. A seedling mix should be used. A good mix contains fine decomposed organic material, small perlite grains and vermiculite. No fertilizer is needed. The cotyldon leaves contain enough fertilizer to carry the seedling through to the first set of true leaves. They should not show yellowing or browning until then. If your bottles have molded bottoms with little trough ridges that might be holding excess water and adding to the problem.

Peoria, AZ

Thank you so much. Is it too late to pick these out from this soil and move them to a seedling soil? I don't want to ruin their growth if they have better chances living in these ole things. Should I cut the bottom of the bottle and put the plant in different soil that way? I wonder what would work best. Thank you!

This message was edited May 4, 2023 10:17 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Since you are in a warm zone you should just direct sow. Cucurbits don't like transplanting so for those wanting a week or two head start planting in peat or paper pots that can go directly into the ground is best. Place three seeds close together in ground or a three inch degradable pot. Place seeds or seedlings about a foot apart in ground and thin to one per foot. You can usually get two vining types in a five gallon container or one bush type. My internet is out so I'm trying to type with one finger. Hope this helps.

Peoria, AZ

Thank you so much! I have 5 gallon buckets so I'll definitely try to move 2 per bucket and start staking. I hope your internet stays back on!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.