rhubarb next to asparagus?

Chillicothe, OH

I'm thinking of doing one of three things when I split my rhubarb in the spring and also plant new root balls purchased early in the season. Your thoughts are appreciated if you think you know these plants.

1.) Plant rhubarb in the bare spots where the asparagus crowns I planted didn't come up (I bought the crowns late in the spring, and they were not all viable). Would this put rhubarb too close to the asparagus (how close could it be)?

2.) Consolidate the asparagus (would require moving some of it) to one end of the large plot I made for it and plant the rhubarb on the other end up to a certain distance (how much?) from the asparagus. If I do this, I wouldn't be able to plant more asparagus early in the year, though.

3. Plant more asparagus to fill in the blank spots and move the asparagus to the side of the house, but it would only get sun until it went over the house in the morning. I don't know if that would give it enough sun.

Donald

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

1) Just no. These are not compatible interplanted crops.
2) Asparagus fills out over time. Don't be impatient. Why not wait a few years and divide crowns if required?
3) See 2). Asparagus is a long term investment with long term results.

Chillicothe, OH

Thanks!!!

I think I'll plant more crowns to fill in and move the rhubarb elsewhere. I was told that you don't even harvest anything the second year, and just a small amount the third year. Does that sound right?

Also, what about the rhubarb with just morning sun? I know it will grow, but will it grow well enough?

I just read about splitting it and I will do it in the spring. I harvest early July then let it grow back and don't touch it again until first frost, at which point I cut it down and freeze it that first day of frost. Would I get more from the plant if I took say 1/3 of it each month til July then nothing until frost?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

About the asparagus...that is correct. Each of your healthy crowns should send up spears in a twelve to eighteen inch diameter in a few years. Unless you have twenty four inches or more spacing don't fill in the bed. It is better to have a bed of spaced crowns that can be cultivated than a crowded one. The spears will be thin early on and in future if overcrowded.

I don't grow rhubarb so I cannot offer advice. However, mature asparagus fronds are so tall and weedy by mid-season, it would be difficult to cultivate another interplanted crop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.