How do I overwinter Salvia nemorosa \'Caradonna\' with purple spikes?

Oxford, United Kingdom

I am very new to this. I have a couple of large plants of Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna' in flowerbeds.

They flowered well. I didn't deadhead them during the summer (I now realise I should have). One plant I cut the dead stalks off, the other one I left them, as they actually look better on.

How should I overwinter them?
I have found conflicting stuff online. One site said to leave them completely as-is, as the plant matter protects from frost, then cut them back heavily in spring. Another site said cut back by a third, ready for cutting back heavily in spring.

The first photo shows the plant still with stalks on. I can see they are sprouting new green leaves at the bottom, illustrated by the second photo.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thumbnail by Orange349 Thumbnail by Orange349
Weirton, WV(Zone 6a)

Here in the northern panhandle of WV, I give them a haircut around the 4th of July cutting off the spent flowers. Then they have another burst of flowering until fall. But I let them be for the insects over winter. Come Spring, there will be new shoots sprouting out of the ground, just gently remove the dead. Pollinators love this plant. A favorite in my garden.

Oxford, United Kingdom

Thank you very much, I think I will just leave them then, and prune them in the spring. Maybe the spikes will look pretty in the frost.

I am trying my best to learn which plants need to be left as-is over winter, ready for pruning in the spring (like salvia, and clematis). Compared to some that need to be cut right down before winter (like lavender).

I just cut down a lot of lavender which would have been good for the insects, so I'm glad to leave the salvia for them at least.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.