Cherries zone 4 5 supplier

Franklin, NH

Do you have suggestions for a reputable seller of cherry trees for zone 5a that sometimes feels like 4b?

I have learned that it's really important to find out professional suppliers, bypass those companies that show up on Google because they advertise heavily, but, when checking, are more expensive and not at all more reliable for the money they charge, or else cheap AND bad (check the Dave's garden reviews. Some of the worst have actually sued so their bad reputation will not show, so, if a given supplier that seems too good to be true doesn't show in the reviews, assume it might be really bad)

Haven't yet found a reliable source for fruit trees. Would you have recommendations?
Thank you!

For grapes i go Doublea. For strawberries, Nourse. Currants? Whitman in Oregon. Excellent plants, huge roots, very decent prices. (There might be others as good, but those i have worked with and vouch for)

(Photos: very happy strawberries and currants, May of this year)

This message was edited Oct 6, 2021 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by yamaNH Thumbnail by yamaNH
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would contact your local/state Cooperative Extension Service, and/or your state university with a horticulture department.

Follow that with contacting any reputable growers in your state - nurseries, garden centers, etc. They should have knowledge of growers/suppliers with hardy reliable stock.

Wisconsin (Door County) and Michigan are two cold places that produce scads of cherries. If they can be grown there, NH shouldn't be a stretch.

Aspect of exposure is going to be a very important site selection characteristic. If warmth comes too soon and blooms are forced early, cherries will be few.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a client with an unbelievable cherry tree. He has two homes, and one is in Door County. He also grows them in his yard in Geneva, IL, but I have no doubt that Door County is his source, so, as usual, VV is on the money!!!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

VV's family roots are imbedded just south of Door County, WI - and knows the fruits of its labors quite well.

Just happen to have some of it laying down in the cellar...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Franklin, NH

Thank you all.
Writing in June 2023, beginning of the second season for my cherries so far.
Purchased 4 cherry trees from Forest Food Nursery, which I review elsewhere, a distributor from wholesale nursery somewhere, 97.3% satisfied despite not the first best impression, the 2.7% negative having to do with a messed up pawpaw order. I will buy again from them.
Expecting a handful from each Meteor cherry tree, the 3 Gold cherries that formed seem to have been shot by a late freeze, and Regina didn't flourishT his being the second year, better than I expected.

Quote from ViburnumValley :

I would contact your local/state Cooperative Extension Service, and/or your state university with a horticulture department.

You're probably correct, and I don't know how it is elsewhere, here in NH, Extension is very specifically prohibited from suggesting suppliers, at best they can only offer a list of anyone who signed to be listed, forbidden and unable to suggest which one is best. VERY hard to twist their arms and get them to say what. Might have to try chocolate or liquor. Dave's Garden REALLY shines, in that sense.

Quoting:

Follow that with contacting any reputable growers in your state - nurseries, garden centers, etc. They should have knowledge of growers/suppliers with hardy reliable stock.

LOL, that’s the problem, which one is "reputable?" I've generally lost hope in asking locally. Some listed have turned out to be defunct. Some local nurseries have overpriced stock they get from wholesalers, not that much better than big box stores, which uniformly are to be avoided. Other growers might know. There appears to be a program of Master Gardeners, that I am yet to explore, will keep you posted.

Quoting:

Wisconsin (Door County) and Michigan are two cold places that produce scads of cherries. If they can be grown there, NH shouldn't be a stretch.

LOL again. Wife grew up in Michigan. Eating cherries as a child, Looking forward to them again. Interestingly, until writing these lines, it hadn't occurred to me how important this is for our family joy. I got 4 trees already, will get at least 4 more the coming year.

Quoting:

Aspect of exposure is going to be a very important site selection characteristic. If warmth comes too soon and blooms are forced early, cherries will be few.

VV, you hit the spot right here. This year in central NH we had a very late freeze following very early bloom. It seemed we would have a couple pounds of cherries, maybe it will be a couple dozen instead. Still, joy! Thank you!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.