SUCCULENT PLANT IDENTIFICATION - HELP WITH ID

Savannah , United States

I strongly believe that this is a kalanchoe succulent. Possibly a mutated form of kal. blossfeldiana. It is not kal. nyikae (shovel-leaf), nor is it senecio kleiniiformis (spearhead). Any thoughts on what this may be? Apologies for not having a photo of the blooms! Thanks in advance!

Thumbnail by Panicmose Thumbnail by Panicmose
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

To me, it most closely resembles K. nyikae. Perhaps a mutation.

Castro Valley, CA

My first thought it was a begonia then a crassula then broad mites then a virused plant. LOL

Has it always looked like that? Did each plant in the pot originally look a like? With that extreme curling especially at the new center growth and that brown discoloration on some of the leaves? Are they all supposed to be the same plant?

The whole pot just looks sick to me.

I confess I tried a plant ID thingie thinking if I knew what a normal one looked like, I could tell if diseased. LOL A person told me how accurate they were just the other day. Not even in the ball park of possibilities though pilea on 1 search was mentioned which had already crossed by mind but it growth habit didn't match any pilea I have ever seen.

I wonder if you have a fungal disease on top of an insect infestation like mites or broad mites. If I could see it in person and feel the curled leaves to see if brittle or if the brown areas were indented a bit into the leaf, I could tell if diseased. Hard to tell from here.

Castro Valley, CA

I was so intrigued with this plant and what it could possibly be, I messaged the great horticulturist, Karl Gercens. A truly lovely soul. He immediately said possibly broad mites though not seeing it in person makes it hard. And he is not sure what else it has. But his prognosis was not good.

Is your sense it is healthy or do you have your doubts? Did you recently buy it looking like that? You mentioned flowers, what did they look like?

I asked him what he thought the plant might be. He had no clue. I told him you thought it was a kalanchoe. He said kalanchoe have opposite leaves and yours has alternate leaves. That is why he is paid the big bucks and I am not.

All this being said, hard to tell sometimes thru pictures. Someone could wander by and instantly know exactly what you have so you never know.

Pomona, CA

I have a plant that is similar but with different leaf shape, Senecio tropaeolifolius.
The roots on this plant have fat roots witch make it a caudex subject for some by elevating the root system with frequent re-potting. Your plant may be a hybrid or a close relative of this plant.

Thumbnail by DennisO Thumbnail by DennisO

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.