Windowbox Help

Islip, NY

I love windowboxes, but have been less than successful with mine. I would really appreciate some helpful advice and suggestions for plantings for spring, summer, and fall. Two of the boxes are at second floor windows. They face east. One gets full morning sun. The other is in dappled shade, as there is a maple to the southeast of it. I would like to have the same plantings in both. I am on Long Island (AHS heat zone 4), so summer planting would have to tolerate some heat. The other windowbox faces south and gets a full day's sun. It is at ground level. This is a different side of the house so no need to coordinate the plantings. It is on the shed in my herb garden. The boxes I have now are wooden, with plastic liners. The liners are a must for the two upper story boxes. I pot them up outside and then carry them to the second floor. I believe the reason for my lack of satisfactory results is that the boxes are too small. Only 4.5" deep X 4" wide. By the time the plants amount to anything, they are completely pot bound. I would prefer not to get bigger boxes because it will be very heavy to carry a larger box filled with soil to the second floor. Is there anything that would thrive in these conditions?

Sumas, WA(Zone 6a)

Try succulents! There are sun and shade varieties, and they do well in hot, dry soil conditions. Take a look at what's on offer - some varieties will cascade and create a pretty display!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.