Trumpet Vine

Spring Branch, TX

I have a large trumpet vine, large when I mean 10 feet tall and 5 feet wide at the top. Now there is a small vine coming out of the ground about 10 feet away. I believe it is from the mother plant. The leaves are the same pattern but they are quite a bit smaller than the "what I know to be a trumpet vine". Also, the leaves on the "baby" plant besides being smaller, the vine is not very full. For those that know, is this in fact a baby from the mother plant? I have taken a lot of time and effort training it to climb a trellis and would love the shade it would provide on my back porch. Otherwise I wasted a lot of time and growing season on nothing. Thanks.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2021 2:37 PM

Thumbnail by Texas001
Spring Branch, TX

This message was edited Jul 11, 2021 4:45 AM

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is but beware! I have a similar size vine that's been trained against a wooden fence outside my vegetable garden. It's about twenty years old. The vine sends runners in every direction with roots more than a foot deep. I am now resorting to herbicide to prevent its escape up a hillside while hand digging what comes up in the garden. Vines regularly emerge through the dirt floor of my garden shed. It's very invasive.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's a close up of the leaves on a trumpet vine. It looks like yours. How long have you had the parent plant? Is this the first time it has sprouted a new one? If this is the beginning of it sending out runners, you might consider putting in a wisteria or something less invasive.

Off topic...how's 'Lil E? Probably not so little any more. They grow so fast.

3021, Australia

What is trumpet vines?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Trumpet vine is Campsis radicans usually but can be used for other vines with trumpet like flowers too. Campsis is also called hummingbird vine. Anyway Campsis is a very fast growing vine and can pop up along its roots if the vine is cut back. Beautiful flowers but difficult to control if it pops up in one's yard.

Here it is in bloom at the very rear of the kitchen garden. It's the plant growing up and sprawling across wood posts leading to the garden shed and composting area. If it's not cut every few weeks during the growing season it will cover the shed. Wisteria is equally invasive if not worse in our zone.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I made an exception to Wisteria but I may have a different opinion of it in a few more years. It took 16 years before my vine finally bloomed! HAHA!

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Best advice is to sharpen your clippers and hack saw, acquire a fiberglass handle shovel and purchase stock in Bayer (Roundup). It not only has an underground stealth plan but also produces lots of viable seed. It only looks under control in this photo.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.