Can anyone diagnose these plants?

Tupelo, MS

Greetings, I have a few winter squash and pumpkin plants that have some type of problem and I'm not sure what's going on. Everything looked green and healthy, but then we got very heavy rain for a week and the garden was essentially flooded. My soil is fairly dense and holds water (we live in an area with a lot of clay).

Based on my research, it looks like powdery mildew? Is that correct? I have a hard time distinguishing between downy and powdery mildew. Actually, could it be both?

Any help anyone provides would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by thartin Thumbnail by thartin Thumbnail by thartin Thumbnail by thartin Thumbnail by thartin
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It is powdery mildew. It will get worse until plants succumb. Harvest what you can soon and remove plants. Most aging squash and cucumbers fall to this in our warm, humid climate.

Tupelo, MS

Thank you for the reply. Would it help to spray them with anything, or is it too late at this point? Will this spread to other types of plants in the vicinity, like tomatoes and sweet potatoes?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Spraying with organics like milk or dusting with cornstarch, etc. has not been helpful for me. Neem is slightly helpful while Daconil has worked best. It is not organic, if that matters, and just slightly delays the plant's demise. Warm wet weather is the trigger. Plant squash as early as possible. Plant sequentially and space plantings as far apart as your garden allows. Cucumbers are also easily affected. Other vegetables can be affected but not so much.

Tupelo, MS

Ok, I really appreciate the reply and information. I'm hoping I can keep the plants alive long enough to finish growing the fruit.

Happy gardening.

New York City, NY

yes its powdery mildew

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.